Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by jclinard

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by jclinard
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: jclinard
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: P
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Alaska in Great Weather
I booked this cruise several months in advance when the rates dropped to the point where the single supplement fare was low and I got a stateroom at a good price. I booked with late dining in a guaranteed stateroom. I was eventually placed in 3581, which is mid-ship interior. I've never minded interior staterooms, so this suited me well.

I flew into Anchorage the day before and then took the train to Seward. I checked my bags in at the train depot, and got one of them back quickly when I remembered my cruise documents were inside one of them. The train was nice, though early. I then walked from the depot in Seward to the ship.

Check-in was easy, as I did everything online before I left. It didn't take long to get processed, receive my seapass, and board the ship. I had lunch and explored the ship while waiting for my stateroom to be ready.

The stateroom was nice. My steward brought the extra blanket I requested. The mini-bar items were in the fridge instead of taking up valuable desk space like they did on the Splendour of the Seas last year. If I had a complaint, it is the usual one - the staterooms is too cold for me most of the time. I prefer a warmer temperature than most people, so I've learned to live with it.

A nice surprise was a note from my travel agency that I had $75 of ship credit. In addition, when I checked the interactive TV, I saw Royal Caribbean had issued a refund of nearly $13 for some reason. It took care of the tips. I had prepaid for a fountain drink package and my shore excursion in Skagway, so my final bill was for less than $30, mostly for gift shop items and stamps.

The ship had interactive displays through the vessel, helping you find what to do, where to go, what was happening, and how to find the nearest restroom.

The weather was amazing for the entire trip. It was actually warm in Juneau, and the ship was able to get close to Hubbard Glacier with mostly clear skies. Indeed, I didn't need my rain ponchos even once during the trip. A few drops fell (including in Ketchikan), but hardly enough to qualify.

The food was good, and the shows were entertaining. Bowser and the Stingrays was a highlight of the ship entertainment, while the production shows were also updated. In particular, Piano Men dropped the Liberace sequence, cut out Copacabana from the Barry Manilow sequence, and added Stevie Wonder.

Whales were spotted off the ship several times, including one that stayed with the ship at Icy Strait Point.

If there was a disappointment, it was in the films offered in the ship cinema. None of them appealed to me, though I imagine Tower Heist, Breaking Dawn Part 1, and Jack and Jill had their fans.

Publication Date: 09/09/12