Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by malibran

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: D2
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
        3-6 5.0

LuxuryOnly.com

Beware when travelling with children!
After many years of cruising/transatlantic crossings with various cruise lines, my husband and I decided Cunard was our favourite. Since being widowed I have travelled with my adult children (it's better value than single occupancy) and have just returned from my first trip with my daughter and grandchildren, aged 4 and 5.

I opted for a day trip to New York, seeing the return Transatlantic crossing as a holiday in itself.

A major disappointment was that the Planetarium was out of action for the whole trip. I have seen it many times and it was one of the main reasons for choosing QM2. I had described it to the children, they were looking forward to seeing it and were sadly let down.

On the plus side the Kids Zone was excellent. My daughter is a childcare professional and she was impressed with the staff, facilities and programme.

Understandably there are lots of forms to sign, protecting the children's and the staffs' interests. My daughter and I were therefore shocked to see one of the gentleman hosts, Clinton, filming our children on his mobile phone. When confronted, he said he was not a member of staff but a volunteer and he wasn't breaking any laws because we were not in the UK!

He called one of the Social Hostesses to his defence (she was definitely a member of staff) and her attitude was very defensive in support of him.

My daughter reported the incident to the Kids Zone staff, who were furious, the matter was taken to the highest level and the participants reprimanded (or so we were told, no apologies were forthcoming from Clinton or his supportive lady friend).

The children thought Clinton was "creepy" and were wary of going into the Queens Room or any where else he might be, if they saw, or thought they saw him they were unnerved. This one unpleasant incident took the shine off the otherwise exemplary attitude of the staff who were charmed by and charming to the children in the expected White Star manner.

I am left wondering what checks are made on these volunteers, who receive a free holiday in exchange for befriending single ladies?

Publication Date: 09/09/12