Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by malibran: Beware when travelling with children!

malibran
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Beware when travelling with children!

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

After many years of cruising/transatlantic crossings with various cruise lines, my husband and I decided Cunard was our favourite. Since being widowed I have travelled with my adult children (it's better value than single occupancy) and have just returned from my first trip with my daughter and grandchildren, aged 4 and 5.
I opted for a day trip to New York, seeing the return Transatlantic crossing as a holiday in itself.
A major disappointment was that the Planetarium was out of action for the whole trip. I have seen it many times and it was one of the main reasons for choosing QM2. I had described it to the children, they were looking forward to seeing it and were sadly let down.
On the plus side the Kids Zone was excellent. My daughter is a childcare professional and she was impressed with the staff, facilities and programme.
Understandably there are lots of forms to sign, protecting the children's and the staffs' interests. My daughter and I were therefore shocked More to see one of the gentleman hosts, Clinton, filming our children on his mobile phone. When confronted, he said he was not a member of staff but a volunteer and he wasn't breaking any laws because we were not in the UK!
He called one of the Social Hostesses to his defence (she was definitely a member of staff) and her attitude was very defensive in support of him.
My daughter reported the incident to the Kids Zone staff, who were furious, the matter was taken to the highest level and the participants reprimanded (or so we were told, no apologies were forthcoming from Clinton or his supportive lady friend).
The children thought Clinton was "creepy" and were wary of going into the Queens Room or any where else he might be, if they saw, or thought they saw him they were unnerved. This one unpleasant incident took the shine off the otherwise exemplary attitude of the staff who were charmed by and charming to the children in the expected White Star manner. I am left wondering what checks are made on these volunteers, who receive a free holiday in exchange for befriending single ladies? Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Standard Inside Deck 11

cramped with both bunks down, convenient for laundry