Disney Wonder Cruise Review by eb548

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
NIGHTMARE! Please Read
My family and I (3 cabins consisting of my parents, sister/brother in law/3 children, and my wife)decided to give Disney cruise line a try after going on 7 excellent Royal Caribbean Cruises. We flew in from NY to depart from Seattle on the Disney Wonder for a 1 week alaska cruise. I had never experienced a single problem nor have I ever complained once with any other cruise or cruise line but the trip was a disaster. I cannot put into words how disappointed my family and I were with the ship and cruise-line.

HEIGHT ISSUE ----I am a 6 foot 3 inch male and if anyone tall is reading this post and is contemplating going on this ship, do not go. The accommodations are not made for taller persons nor does disney care when it is addressed. The ceilings in the shower were too low for me to take a shower standing up. I had to bend down just to make it in there and had to avoid hitting my head on the surface mounted lights in the shower (which i was able to do most of the time). Furthermore, I love to workout and one of my favorite things to do is to workout when on a cruise and look out into the open ocean. However the ceilings were too low for me to use any of the elliptical or treadmill machines by the windows. I had to use an older machine in the back of the gym in the weights area with no view whatsoever. I really felt like i was handicapped due to my height on this ship. I complained to the manager who was very nice but stated he was unable to do anything for me. He said he has heard the complaint before and I told him that did not provide me solace.

FOOD ISSUE --- My family has dietary restrictions which do not allow us to consume meat or shellfish. As stated previously, we have been on many cruises (mostly with RCCL) and have never had an issue. However, on the Wonder options were tough to come by. The most frustrating part was that they had a vegetarian menu at the main dining rooms which listed options that weren't vegetarian!! An example was a dish with oyster sauce (clearly not vegetarian and contains shellfish!) Moreover, there was no way to tell in the buffet areas what was vegetarian. Labels for the foods would list things such as potato salad or mac and cheese but the potato salad had shrimp and the mac and cheese had ham. This was only to be discovered after placing fork to food and not via any of the labels which were incorrect much of the time. We complained multiple times. Only on the last night we were given an apology and were told that disney would attend to this problem.

UNSAFE CONDITIONS-- My wife, mother, and I were doing laundry on the ship in one of their laundry rooms. While waiting for the laundry (most of the machines were broken), we were sitting on a bench inside the room. Above my wifes head was an iron that was sitting inside a bracketed holder which housed the iron. A few minutes after we sat, the iron fell on my wifes head. We heard a loud bump and did not know what it was. Then i found my wife holding the top of her head in pain. I quickly ran into the hallway and requested ice from a room attendant. When i came back with ice, i saw the bracket did not properly hold the iron in place. Any small movement in the ship would cause the iron to fall out of its holder. I called guest services to immediately report the problem. A few minutes later, an officer and a security crewman came up to take down an incident report. They were more concerned about liability then they were my wife. They started asking questions (there were multiple witnesses who could not believe what happened ) and were asking how it happened. They did not once ask how she was feeling. I had to interrupt them to request medical attention for my wife. We proceeded to see the doctor on call as she was experiencing nausea and had a nice bump on her head. The doctor was very nice and professional. She was attended to, given ice and medicine and went to the room to rest (where she did not leave for the rest of the day). The officer and attendant acknowledged that the bracket was unsafe but did not really care for my wife and her health. We received a follow up call from guest relations a few hours later to see how she was with an apology to go with a $100 credit. What a joke.. I paid thousands for my family to go on a cruise to Alaska and receive an 100 credit off one room for all our troubles. Nightmare of a cruise and horrible customer service. I expected more from Disney.

Publication Date: 09/08/12