Carnival Magic Cruise Review by surfergina: Magic Make Things Happen......

surfergina
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Magic Make Things Happen......

Sail Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

THE SHIP:

Clean, fresh, new, and not too hard to find where you want to go at. The layout takes a day or so to get used to. There are a few floors that cut off or don't span the entire ship. Which means at least once you will have to go up or down a floor, walk the length of the boat, and then back up or down to reach your desired location. The elevators were never TOO crowded beyond what you expect on a cruise ship. Rooms were alittle smaller on the other ship I have been on, Disney Dream. But Magic provided better storage spaces than Disney. If you need storage spaces in your cabin, don't get the modifier cabin (cabin for wheelchair user) because my friends had those cabin and there are no storage spaces. She wished she had gotten a regular cabin instead. The mid pool is always packed after breakfast to before dinner. My favorite swimming pool is located at the back of the ship. It's closer to bar service (really great service and quick), India buffet, and hot panini More sandwich stands.

THE CABIN:

My cabin is Cove Balcony. The reason why I wanted to book this type of cabin is because this cabin type is really new to me and I want to be the first to experience it. I really, really love this Cove Balcony because when you get on the balcony, you get to see everything up close, especially at each port stop. I am lucky to book this cabin number because there are no safe boats hanging above my cabin (others do), so I got more sunshine in my cabin and open viewing. If you plan to book a cove balcony, look at the deck map and make sure that there are no safe boats hanging above it.

My cabin is in the middle of the deck. The only downfall is when the ocean get wavy, you can feel the ocean mist on your face. Sometime splash, if wave gets too rough (it will IF you have cove balcony in front of ship). I noticed some sands on my balcony once and it's no wonder why Carnival worker had to hose water down on all cove balcony night before returning to home port. The next downfall is you cannot open the outside balcony divider door between two cabins. It stay locked and that divider is to cover your cabin's outside door if the wave get too rough or storm. I didn't have any problems with cove balcony and I would definitely book this type of cabin again.

THE SERVICE:

Cabin steward, waiters, guest services, lido buffet, and the rest have a great service EXCEPT at the Spotlight Lounge (Comedy Club). The cocktail servers are very slow workers. We attended Comedy show twice nightly (Percy Crew II & Cowboy Bill). Few time I ordered a drink, but didn't receive it until near the show is about to ended, other time waiters were nowhere to be seen. Magic need more cocktail servers to meet our demands.

THE FOODS:

The foods are okay, in my opinion. Lido buffet has plenty of foods to choose from and I tried all of them. I noticed that some foods are warm, which was supposed to be chilled, like red kidney beans & chick peas, sliced fruits. The Mongolian wok is my favorite, but I really hate to waste my time standing in lines for an hour to get my plate from wok. I only went there once. My suggestion is to go there early before more people arrive. The last three days of cruise - Lido buffet ran out of bananas. No bananas for breakfast and lunch, disappointed. The most disappointed part is their food placement - at Lido, you have to look everywhere for butter, cream cheese, jelly, horseradish sauce. As it turns out, butter is on left side of buffet, while cream cheese/jelly is on the right side. They should put all close together. Foods at assigned nightly dinner time - no problem. Great foods and services. Room service foods - no problem. Love, love, love to order room service foods FROM my cabin flat TV - so easy and quick.

THE DRINKS:

I don't drink soda, so I drank mostly water, hot tea, and coffee. I brought my own water bottles (24) on the ship from a local Galveston drugstore. They allow me to bring it, but I have to carry it myself until my cabin is ready on the first day. Bring a little bag with wheels to haul your soda cans/water bottles.

THE ENTERTAINMENT:

No problem.

SHORE EXCURSIONS:

Grand Cayman - Stingray City. Best trip I've ever taken. Will go there again.

Montego Bay, Jamaica - Horseback Riding. Fun, but long wait and hot. Relieved to get in the ocean with my horse to cool off.

Cozumel, Mexico: originally booked for Secret River Cave, but had to back out due to claustrophobia. Changed it to GoJeep! Beach. It was fun and we got to learn how Tequila was made, sip all kinds of tequila flavor and head to the beach by Jeep. Restaurant and saltwater pool are available to use. You must know how to use stick-shift. No auto is available. Long drive, but it was fun.

OVERALL:

Do I want to go on the Magic again? Maybe, if I bring my teen son along with me and I'm sure he'll have a blast playing in dodgeball, skyrope, kid's activities, and more. I have sailed on Carnival before and so far, my most favorite ship is Carnival Liberty. If I was given two choices - Magic or Liberty, for my next cruise trip, I'll pick Liberty. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>