Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by blondie11776: Great First Experience on Carnival Fantasy

blondie11776
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Fantasy Bahamas Cruises

Great First Experience on Carnival Fantasy

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

We chose to drive to Charleston, SC from NE Pennsylvania to spend some time at this port prior to embarkation. We have a lot of friends in this area and absolutely loved it! I would recommend Isle of Palms beach and Downtown Charleston as a visit before or after the cruise!
Although worried about having all of the right paperwork for embarkation, Carnival staff members and SC Customs Dept were very helpful to make sure we were all set as none of us had passports. Birth Certificates and Photo ID in hand, we were boarding the ship in no time.

The ship was spotless, amazing. I was a little dissappointed in the rooms- seemed a bit out dated and tight, but really, we didn't spend much time in the room at all and the beds/comforters were SUPER comfortable! I slept like a baby!

Our dinner staff in the Jubilee dining was amazing. It was like they became a part of our family for the 5 nights we were on board. They referred to us by first names and catered to our every More need. Dinners were tasty- standard to adventurous choices available every night.

The buffets on the lido deck were delicious too- not fancy, but lots of choices. Self serve ice cream/frozen yogurt was available 24/7 along w/ pizza.

I had my parents (65 yrs old) and my son (8yrs) with me on this cruise and
there was something going on at all times for each of us to enjoy! My son LOVED the waterworks....and so did I! The slides were super fun. There were always enough lounge chairs to relax on. I also got to enjoy the Serenity Deck for 21+years.

I did enjoy the piano bar, The Cat's Lounge, Comedy nights, paddleball, mini golfing, the pool deck, and the funshops on Deck 9!!! Our Cruise Director, Matt, was funny, and talented, making sure everyone was having a great time! (and easy on the eyes!)

I felt that child safety on this ship was a very high priority, which made me feel great.

The first stop in Nassau was great. We booked the Blue Lagoon/Dolphin Encounter excursion through an online site directly w/ Blue Lagoon and felt that this was a better choice than booking through Carnival- saved money and felt secure. The staff at Blue Lagoon was wonderful. This excursion was well worth it, we ALL enjoyed ourselves- it was like paradise (if you go, follow the sandy path over the dunes and you will find an untouched paradise). Be aware of your time to return to the ship- they will leave without you!!

Freeport, not as nice as Nassau. We went to Port Lucaya Marketplace- lots of fun shops and a straw market- make sure you bargain there! There were also many restaurants to choose from at Port Lucaya. We were recommended to go to Lucaya Beach by a local and was extrememly disappointed- lots of seaweed and narrow beach- just not pretty. I am sure it was nicer in front of the resort. However, we made up for that with a GREAT Banana Boat ride w/ Ocean Motion Watersports- incredibly fun for $25 pp!!

The ocean was like glass the entire trip- smooth sailing. The Captain, Francesco, would come on deck and mingle- very approachable and nice.

De-embarkation was a smooth process as well. We left our luggage out the night before and it was waiting for us at port. We never felt like we did not know what to do-Carival was great at keeping us informed. Lucky for us, we ran into a porter, who wheeled us right to the front of the customs line and out to the street to be picked up by a friend. If you have a lot of luggage...find a porter!! Otherwise, you will be dragging it through a long line at customs and Charleston is HOT!
I will definitely sail with Carnival again, I enjoyed the ship's entertainment, I enjoyed the food, and I enjoyed the wonderful staff! Thanks for a GREAT first cruise experience Carnival Fantasy! Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Empress U189

Tiny room with nice window ocean view, out of date decor (didn't like the color- but that is minor). The bathroom was tiny with not really any place to store your bathroom necessities, but we worked it out. The room although tiny, provided closet space for clothes and a table with a nice lighted mirror to put on makeup/get ready for dinner. The comforters and pillows were SOOOO COMFY!! The TV had great reception and we got more channels than I thought we would! Our room staff was great, catered to our every need, and of course, made towel animals and left chocolate every night! We had 2 pull down beds, which made it VERY tight to walk around, but really, we did not spend much time in our rooms since there was always so much to do.

Banana Boat

(4)
Following a shopping trip to Port Lucaya, it was recommended to us by our taxi driver to go to Lucaya beach. The shopping was great, the beach (a walk from shopping behind the Police station) was not so great. The beach was narrow, crowded, and "dirty" with seaweed. The seaweed would wrap around my legs in the water. Some of the locals were a little obnoxious, however, was approached by a very nice young man from Ocean Motion Water Sports regarding a banana boat ride for $25 pp. My mom, disappointed w/ the beach and lack of shade, went back to the boat while my 8 yr old and I signed up for the banana boat. The boat driver took us and 5 others out to sea and then through millionaire row, the dolphin training center, and a pirate ship from Pirates of the Caribbean. We saw nurse sharks swimming below us in the crystal clear waters!! Then, it was a "crazy" ride back to the beach out in the open ocean!! Bouncing on the wake, going at least 15mph, we were flying!!! My son was laughing, I was screaming, it was exhilarating! Then....we flipped and were all bobbing out in the ocean, laughing. I was a little nervous, but we all made it back onto the banana somehow (if you are a really heavy person, this might be hard to do) and back to shore! I chose to bring my valuables on the boat rather than leave them on shore under a picnic table (manned by ocean motion staff) in a laundry basket- was not risking something being stolen. I was pleasantly surprised that my belongings stayed dry. The boat driver was constantly looking over his shoulder to make sure we were all okay and was very informative on the little tour we went on- giving us tips on how to balance the banana!! Overall, great experience for the $$!!!

Blue Lagoon Island Beach Day

This excursion was well worth it, we ALL enjoyed ourselves- it was like paradise (if you go, follow the sandy path over the dunes and you will find an untouched paradise). Blue Lagoon was very clean and had good food- burgers, chicken, hot dogs, and veggie burgers. The pina coladas were great too :). My son snorkeled all day long and we didn't want to leave! Hammocks and Palm trees were plentiful, get a shady spot as soon as you get there- they will be taken quick! We also enjoyed the inflatable obstacles, although were hard for my 8yr old to pull himself out of the water onto as the water was deep here (life jackets provided). Once he got up on them, it was thrilling and fun!! This was truly a great island experience. Be aware of your time to return to the ship- they will leave without you!!

Dolphin Encounter

(5)
The first stop in Nassau was great. We booked the Blue Lagoon/Dolphin Encounter excursion through an online site directly w/ Blue Lagoon and felt that this was a better choice than booking through Carnival- saved money and felt secure. The staff at Blue Lagoon was wonderful. From port, we took a taxi to Paradise Island Ferry Terminal and took a great Ferry/Catamaran ride to the secluded island which in itself was breathtaking, all the while island music playing to get you in the mood! This excursion was well worth it, we ALL enjoyed ourselves. The dolphin encounter was very educational and well-run. They were organized, and staff took great pictures that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The dolphins were happy to see us and really interacted with us- we touched them, rubbed bellies, danced, kissed and fed them. They seem very happy and well taken care of which made me very happy!