Viking Spirit Cruise Review by quetta: River cruise from Paris

River cruise from Paris

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Paris

We embarked in Paris and spent the first full day and a half in the City of Lights. Our stateroom, not in the highest category, was superb. Lots of room!
In fact, the highest category stateroom was the same size as ours. The staff did their best to help in any way they were able---friendly and informative. They began with a short tour of the area near the docking point in Paris (where we could see the Eiffel Tower from the deck!). This tour was an orientation to getting around the city--how to find the Metro; buying tickets for the Metro; how to read the Metro maps; grocery stores; drug stores; cafes; money. I found it very helpful. We took an optional tour of the Louvre which was my least favorite part of the week! Why? Sunday afternoon at the Louvre is best described as a madhouse! I know trying to convince someone NOT to see the Mona Lisa is futile but prepare to be jostled about. You will feel as if you are the midst of a cattle-drive. But the rest of the week was More great!

The meals were good, the service was good, the tours were good but highly dependent on the tour guide--- make sure you fill out a opinion card after your tours. We visited Monet's garden at Giverney--don't miss it! But I turned off the earphones for the guide--imagine hearing someone babbling the entire time you want peace--like at the pond area. The optional tour to Versailles was very good. We had an excellent guide who made things alive for us. We traveled from town to town sometimes in the morning or overnight. It was a really nice way to travel!!

The only downside to this trip was a virus that went through the boat the last night. They brought a MD on board to see folks (at 120 euros each). At that point things became unpleasant as guests began to find fault with staff (i.e., "I saw someone cough into their hand" or "They should have ....you fill in the blank"). I work in healthcare and unfortunately, people get sick. And if you are in a confined area, more people get sick. Less

Read more Viking Spirit cruise reviews >>