Disney Dream Cruise Review by CaroleR

Disney Dream
Member Name: CaroleR
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Dream Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Cabins Not Rated

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Disney - First Time
This was a 4 day get-a-way with a friend & acquaintance. DH was not interested in going. It was basically Nassau & their island. This being my 20th cruise (w/o DH), it was just to relax and see if Disney was a good choice to do a family cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze as was debarkation. Canaveral is a great in & out port. Disney makes it easy for passengers, but kids rule on their cruises. If you want your kids entertained every waking minute (what parent doesn't?), this is the cruise for you. Two things that stood out for me was: great food and good choices (didn't need to do fee restaurants). Service was impeccable. There wasn't a thing they wouldn't do for you! Our extra tips reflected this!!

Did Palo the first night so we missed the Animators' Palace. (Really wanted to experience it.) But, the chocolate souffle was incredible. Cabanas (buffet) had boiled shrimp, crab legs and oysters every day for lunch. Good quality choices. Didn't try mac & cheese, but the chix tenders were "to die for!" Was disappointed one day (conflicting schedule) that they closed it @ 1:30. But, managed to get some food and a server actually went into the kitchen to get me two desserts. One day, I asked if a dish was spicy, and a server said it might be and then proceeded to go back and make it w/o spice for me. Free soda was a perk. Kudos to the servers. Everyone said hello and asked if they could be of service. In the dining room had steak (filet mignon) three nights. From the breads to the desserts, being a foodie, I was impressed. Cabin mate raved about the fish dishes. They even went to Cabanas to get a tea my friend drank!

Except for one ventriloquist (adult & children's' shows) (sorry, I love Jeff Dunham), loved their production shows. I can't do steps, so my friend found a cast member to take me to a seat up front via a special elevator system. I felt special.

I didn't do bingo as I suspect it would have been expensive as it is now on other ships. YES, I did miss gambling casino.

They have some really nice shops, but boy could you spend a fortune as the kids could see the merchandise and 'want everything' they saw. I suspect Disney makes a fortune on their merchandise.

The rooms and ship were kept immaculate! The ship is beautiful especially the atrium. Our room steward was incredible and extremely friendly. We were in a veranda room with a queen bed and convertible couch. After some whining on my cabin mates' part, I took the couch bed; it was comfortable. It was okay for 3 people, but would have been tight for supposedly 5 passengers. Was worried about the tub/shower, but with a rail, it is not bad. Nice having two separate bathrooms was nice.

I am not a balcony lover, but the two others loved it. First time for room service, and was very impressed not only for the menu, but the service. We needed it by a certain time to make a venue, and it was in the room 10 minutes later; it was very good. Friends did the Acqua Duck and loved it. A sore point for me was the Pirate Party & fireworks. That size ship cannot accommodate everyone on board in one small space. Chairs were at a premium. That seems to happen a lot on the larger ships (been on Oasis & Epic)! They even had a good-bye show with all the characters in the atrium. Again, impressive!!!!!

I am trying not to be long-winded. Would I go again? Yes, if the price is right (they are pricey) and I went w/ husband, grown children & grandchildren. Disney Cruise Line is a class organization. You do get your "money's worth!" It would be fun (as I've read on other reviews) seeing it through grandchildren's' eyes!

Publication Date: 09/08/12