Carnival Glory Cruise Review by RickinNYC

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: RickinNYC
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 4A
Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Just off the Carnival Glory
My partner and I just got off the Glory last week on a five day NYC/Canada cruise.

We took the subway from our apartment and strolled to the boarding area about 11am with no problems, check in was a breeze and we were onboard by 11:30. I was a bit surprised that the only viable option for lunch was the Red Sail buffet on the Lido Deck, but I wasn't fazed in the least.

We went up, found a table and off my partner went to forage. He came back, and I went out to see what was good. Have to say that the buffet was mayhem, not just on embarkation day, but every day of the cruise. And the selection wasn't particularly great. The set-up was, quite honestly, pretty darn stupid. Burgers on one end. A deli counter plopped down in the middle of a crowded walk-way. Salads in another area, fish/chips on another deck, pizza in yet another space altogether, and on and on.

As for quality, everything was simply... "meh". Can't say that anything I ate was awful; everything was certainly edible. But I also can't say that anything I had was good let alone great. Admittedly, I'm a bit pickier than my other half, but even he felt it was all hum drum.

After lunch, we wandered the decks and did some exploring. The ship itself was beautiful and the crew was friendly and helpful. Everything was clean and I didn't find maneuvering the decks particularly confusing as others have mentioned. The cigarette smoke in the casino was pretty strong, but they did what they could to keep it manageable.

Our inside cabin was ready by 1:15 so we dropped off our things. Luggage showed up shortly thereafter and our attendant introduced himself soon after. Pleasant guy, friendly, eager to help. The cabin itself was another "meh" moment, but we did only book an inside so we expected as much. The bathroom was pretty large and the basket of personal items was a nice touch, though the shower curtain was receiving mixed reviews from both of us. Be that as it may, as long as the door locks, my things are safe, the bathroom is clean and my bed is comfy, I'm pretty easy to please.

The cruise itself was uneventful. The crew always remained friendly, though I do recall on several occasions during the latter half of our vacation that the bathrooms in the public areas were not kept up. Toilet paper on the floor, heck an entire roll was unspooling on the floor one evening. Soap all over the bottom half of the mirrors. Soiled toilet seats.

I'd also noticed that the tables at the Red Sail, as well as those along the main deck across from the sushi bar, were covered with used plates, cups, etc... all the time. It was pretty clear the staff was overwhelmed and couldn't keep up with the masses. The casino also had cups, glasses and used ashtrays waiting for attention all over between slot machines and resting in open spaces.

The main dining room was fine, though the decor appeared slightly dated. The food was always fine, with a couple of standouts. The wait staff were fantastic and fast on their feet. We loved our dining companions and wish we could sail with all of them again in the future! All in all, no complaints about food in those venues.

In terms of the ports themselves, we loved them. In St. John, we walked around for a couple of hours first, then did the Moosehead Pub Crawl. Met a lot of great folks from the cruise that we ended up meeting up with the rest of the trip. In Halifax, we opted not to do an excursion and simply walked around the waterfront and went to the Martime Museum. We really loved this port, it's so beautiful, even if it's drizzling.

As the cruise progressed, I noticed more and more evidence of crew overwhelmed by the number of passengers. The bathrooms were becomingly consistently messy, the public areas always had glasses waiting to be picked up, trash receptacles were over loaded. Be that as it may, they never failed to smile and greet you, while they did their best to keep up.

As for the adult-only areas, it was clear there were few parents that just didn't care about rules and allowed, if not encouraged, their snowflakes to enjoy themselves. Thankfully, those lovely parents were in the very small minority, and when it was pointed out to them, the majority would smile sheepishly and herd their kids out. Only once did I see anyone argue their case. I even observed this in the Serenity area, where parents would bring their kids in, tell them to hop on the hammock or couches, and go ahead and play. Lots of eye rolls from some of the other guests but the kid invasions were always short lived. What child would want to stay in that area anyway when their peers had the pools and slide to enjoy?

Overall, the Glory started the week in pristine condition, but through the five days she lost a bit of her luster due to garbage, dirty dishes, used ashtrays, empty glasses and other discarded items. The crew was always quick to help, offer a smile, or just say hello. The stateroom was fine and remained that way. The food was all fine, with positive exceptions made for the steakhouse which was pretty great. My partner and I really did enjoy ourselves and any negative comments you may have read here were simply observations at that moment they occurred and certainly nothing that impacted our vacation. When we were disembarking, we asked one another if we'd travel Carnival again and we both said sure, it's a great deal for the dollar, very convenient, and the positives far outweighed any negatives.

Perhaps we'll see some of you onboard in the future!

Publication Date: 09/05/12