Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by themarine1990

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by themarine1990
Celebrity Summit
        16+ 2.0
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Celebrity Summit Review August 26-September 2nd
I recently sailed on the Celebrity Summit on August 26th to September 2nd traveling to Bermuda. It was an excellent cruise compared to some other cruises I have been on. But anyway below is my in-depth review of my experience

1. Food- the food on this ship was excellent. And when I say excellent I mean it, because I am a very picky eater. I am not a huge steak eater but I had the Chateaubriand with Brunei Sauce and it was the best steak I have ever ate, same thing goes for the NY Sirloin Steak. There pasta dishes were great and I can't forget the Beef Wellington which was absolutely amazing. They had a wide variety of amazing delicious deserts. My personal favorite was the Chocolate Soufle, they made it warm and delicious. After I ate that, i did not need to eat desert for the rest of the week. The only thing I have to complain about is that the menu had very little variety. Most nights,it was either Lamb or Seafood on the Menu and I don't eat both. But thats just me, other people may find that the menu has a wide variety of food.

2. Service- This is the only thing that I was very very disappointed about. I found the service on this ship to be poor compared to its sister company RCL. I choose to do the My Choice dining option (I hate eating at first Seating) and my dining time was at 7:30. The Head of the Dining room and the Maitre D's did not seem to grasp the concept of a reservation. My idea of a Reservation is that you have a set dining time and a table RESERVED. According to Celebrity, when you make a reservation all your doing is reserving a dining time, not a table. So I would get to the dining room at 7:30 and they would tell me it would be a 30 minute wait. And then one night I waited an hour just to be seated. Infact I got into an argument with the Head of the Dining room and I had to call him 15 minutes before we were coming to the dining room, just so he could have our table ready. That was unacceptable. Then when I would sit down it would take FOREVER to get my main entre. Most nights I spent over 2 hours at the dining room and did not get out until between 9:30-10. Very disappointed. Then when I went to the Oceanview Cafe in the Morning to get Breakfast and no one would be there in the front to greet me and say "Good morning," they did that to me when I went on Royal Caribbean. Overall very disappointed with the service onboard.

3. Shore Excursions- This is a another thing that I was somewhat disappointed in. Now I know most people do Bermuda on there own, but being that I haven't been to Bermuda in 15 years and knowing that everything has changed I was kind of nervous to do things on my own. I definantly wanted to do snorkeling as I have never snorkeled in Bermuda before. On Celebrities website they did not offer many snorkeling excursions, If I remembered they only offered 2 the Catamaran Coral Reef Snorkel and the Shipwreck Snorkel. I was torn between which I wanted to do but I had other people in my party and we all decided to do the Coral Reef Snorkel. The times that they offered the trip were horrible, I mean 10 am and 2 pm? I really did not want to do 2 pm because then I would not be able to do other things, like maybe the zoo or go to St. George's. I was really disappointed by that.

4. The Captain- I forgot his name (some greek guy), but he was great. We had a Medical Emergency on board on our first day at sea (One of the crew members had appendicitis) and him and his staff were great. They alerted the passengers (immediately) that they had to divert about 400 miles to the West to meet up with the Coast Gaurd Helicopter off the coast of Virginia to get the sick crew member to the hospital. He executed this maneuver in a very timely matter (about an hour and a half)and then he got us back on course and he still got us to Bermuda at our scheduled time. He was a great guy, while he was not on the Bridge he was out and about on the ship, he was at most of the shows dancing and talking to everyone, really personable guy.

5. Entertainment- The entertainment on the ship was mediocre. They had great live performances from bands and performers and comedians, but other than that their shows were not great, some of them did not make sense to me. The talent level was great though all the performers in the shows were great singers. They had this one guitarist who did this great rendition of Hey Jude one of the best covers Ive ever heard of that song. Doug Cameron was phenominal was usual and they had some great comedians on board the ship.

6. Overall experience-The overall experience I had on this ship was great. The fellow passengers on the ship were lovely (did not meet anyone I did not want to throw overboard) the food was excellent and also the Spa and Gym were great (Spa per my wife and sister). I really enjoyed the two days at sea before arriving to Kings Warf on Wednesday, gave me a chance to unwind and relax. I was very pleased with this cruise and would recommend to anyone.

Publication Date: 09/05/12