Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by TimetoCruise12

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by TimetoCruise12
Carnival Sensation
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Carnival Sensation with 6 year old
We did Disneyworld prior to boarding cruise ship. We had a rental car that we parked off-site at Executive Parking which was very easy to find. We arrived at port around noon and were able to go directly into check in. The line up was very long but moved quickly.

When we boarded ship, we went to Lido deck and found a table for 2. The trip was just myself and 6 year old son. My son sat at table with luggage while I grabbed him pizza. We had only carry on luggage so once my son was done eating, we headed to our room on Upper (U167) - it was an interior stateroom with single bed and bunk murphy bed. I found the room to be quite spacious. Since I had booked the cheapest room available, I had expected to pretty much be a in broom closest,lol, but instead found it to be more than enough room for us.

There was space under the twin bed for luggage storage. We had 2 little tables, a chair by the bed then a desk with chair. The desk had 4 drawers to it. We also had a fairly spacious closet to hang our clothes with 4 big shelves in it. The bathroom was okay in size - not a lot of room to leave any personal items in it. The shower did have a clothes line for drying swimming suits. There was a basket with complimentary toothpaste, men's cologne, and shampoo/conditioner. The shower had shampoo and body wash dispencers in it but I used the complimentary shampoo and conditioners instead.

I felt we had more than enough room and if we do the Baltic cruise in a couple of years, I would quite happily book the same room style as it was a lot more spacious then expected. The room came with 2 big blue Carnival beach towels and 2 Carnival white robes for your use during the cruise.

We had a wonderful room steward from Bali named Hary - he was wonderful with my son and always made sure to do a special towel animal. Every night when we would come back to the room, my son would say, I can hardly wait to see what Hary made for us.

The food on the ship was plentiful - nothing spectacular but okay. It is quite impressive that they are able to feed so many people so often. We had the anytime dining in the Fantasy Dining Room and had the same table and wait staff. We typically arrived at Dining room around 7pm so always caught the floor show by the waiters. The Dining staff was exceptional and treated my son like a king. They always greeted him by name and the hostess was especially sweet to him. On our last day, my son wanted to tip the hostess some extra cash because she had been so sweet with him.

My son did not want to participate in the Camp Carnival so we did the Waterworks park the first day - he loved it. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We tried to do the Ping Pong but they only had 4 paddles and one table had 4 players so the other table was not in use but had no equipment. We were finally able to play Ping Pong on our sea day and had lots of fun. We did the mini-golf and there was lots of families enjoying it.

I did not find this cruise to be a party cruise at all. I noticed several families, various age groups and everyone seemed friendly and nice. I did notice that you could very much smell cigarette smoke especially near the casino. The ship pool is quite small and had a hot tub on either side of it. The pool and hot tubs were always crowded - we found the Waterworks area worked best for us as a family.

In the Bahamas, we enjoyed going to the Blue Lagoon excursion and did the swimming with the dolphins - it was a wonderful experience - well worth the money. Our boat was late picking us up at Blue Lagoon so we arrived back at pier at 6:10pm so people who had early dining were quite stressed out. I was really glad that we had anytime dining so didn't have to stress about it.

I feel we definitely got good value for what we paid for the cruise. I think that for us, a 3 night cruise was not long enough and would definitely want to do a 7 day cruise next time. Due to the tropical storm Isaac, we did encounter some rough waters so you could feel the motion of the ship. Not enough to make it unsafe to walk around but enough to know you were on a ship.

We had a great trip and look forward to more cruising in the future.

Publication Date: 09/05/12