Top-Notch Vacation!: Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Cruisenmike711
Overall Member Rating
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
1. Stateroom: We had the owner's suite with double balcony. It was a forward cabin right beneath the bridge. The room was nothing short of amazing. One bathroom and one powder room. Two decent sized balconies with a table and chairs on one balcony, and two lounge chairs on the forward facing balcony. Spacious living area, nice bar area, and a great dining area. The bed, pillows and linens were very comfortable, and we had the best nights' sleep on a vacation ever on this cruise.
2. Service: I cannot say enough about our butler (Jomar), concierge (Monica), and steward. They were so pleasant and helpful. Jomar kept our mini-bar fully stocked with soda and bottled water. We were allowed to choose three liquor bottles to have in our cabin. Every afternoon, Jomar brought us cut fruit, More tea sandwiches, and other treats, which was a very nice touch. The steward kept the stateroom immaculate. We certainly felt spoiled!
3. Food: The meals in the Aqua dining room, Versailles dining room, and the buffet were overall great. We ate at Ginza, which was worth doing. Cagney's steakhouse for dinner was fantastic! We each had the prime rib, which was very yummy. The clam chowder was excellent as well. As we had a suite, we were able to eat at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch as well, which was totally worth doing.
4. Chef's Table: We booked the Chef's table which was an additional $75 per person. While this sounds like a lot, it was a fantastic value for the quality and amount (nine-courses with three different wine pairings) of food. They only seat twelve for this one-time only dinner during the cruise, so book ASAP if you are interested. Chef Barrington was present throughout the dinner introducing each course, explaining the ingredients and preparation to the guests. The food was of a very high-quality, of what you would expect of a higher end restaurant. The two main entrees were Chilean Sea Bass and a Veal Chop. Both were excellent! And, the desserts were to die for! Included was a tour of the galleys on Saturday as well as two professional photos with chef Barrington.
5. Entertainment: All of the live shows were great! We went to the following: Opening Night, Band on the Run, Jorgos the magician (in the afternoon), Second City Improv, Duo Amare, Shark Bait, and the finale - Elements. Every one of them was worth going to, and of a high quality. Particularly impressive was Duo Amare and Elements, but do not miss the magician or Shark Bait as well!
6. Bermuda: We did the horseshoe bay shore excursion. You would be better off renting a cab so that you are on your own timetable. Horseshoe bay is beautiful but very crowded. Elbow Bay was much less crowded and just as beautiful.
7. Spa: We actually wound up doing two days at the spa. The first day we booked ourselves a couples' seaweed wrap/full body massage which lasted 110 glorious minutes! We took advantage of a spa special that they ran later in the cruise and had a hot stone massage, salt scrub, and mini facial. Both were fantastic experiences.
Overall, we were more than satisfied with our cruise on the Norwegian Star. It exceeded our expectations. I felt like we got a lot of bang for our buck considering all the food, entertainment, and service. While the owner's suite is pricey, if it is in your budget, go for it! You will not be disappointed! We've already put a deposit down on our next NCL cruise, and our looking forward to it! Less
Cabin review: SB10506 Owner's Suite with Double Balcony
Stateroom: We had the owner's suite with double balcony. It was a forward cabin right beneath the bridge. The room was nothing short of amazing. One bathroom and one powder room. Two decent sized balconies with a table and chairs on one balcony, and two lounge chairs on the forward facing balcony. Spacious living area, nice bar area, and a great dining area. The bed, pillows and linens were very comfortable, and we had the best nights' sleep on a vacation ever on this cruise. The room has high-quality reproductions of Picasso's throughout. While the owner's suite is pricey, if it is in your budget, go for it! You will not be disappointed!Read All Owner's Suite with Double Balcony (SB) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Horseshoe Bay Beach
INTERESTING TO SAY THE LEAST L...
Loved the Norwegian Breakaway!...
Not a great value anymore
Disappointing Golden Anniversa...
Not what we planned but a grea...
Pluses and Minuses