Carnival Victory Cruise Review by A2799: Great ship and amazing itinerary!

A2799
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great ship and amazing itinerary!

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I went with a friend and this was our first cruise. The ship was great, really big and we didn't see everything it had to offer. We ate dinner in the dining room every night and were seated with great people - they did a really great job of matching us up! We even went to the beach one day with two of the girls from our table. And we went to a couple shows and dancing with the whole table. The food in the dining room was excellent. We all loved being able to try different things and order multiple meals. Warm chocolate melting cake for dessert every night! The buffets were ok. Lots of options so you could always find something and we especially enjoyed the chicken fingers back by the pool a couple days when we got back on the ship after exploring an island. We also discovered the sandwhich shop and wok a little later in the week and were pleased with those offerings, but sometimes there were lines we didn't want to wait in.

We had a great room, but it was at the More back of the ship so we were woken up every morning by loud noises when they were docking. That would be my only complaint. I actually thought the shower had a couple extra inches over the Royal Caribbean cruise I had been on years ago.

Other reviews said that the interiors were dated, but I didn't think they were bad at all. Everything seemed to be well kept and the glass elevators in the atrium/main lobby area were really pretty. The deck chairs were in good condition. The only part of the decor that I hated were the seahorses on the railings on the stairs - this is going to sound crazy but their noses stick out past where the railing ends and I hit my hip a couple times and got bruised. So be careful rounding the corners!

The entertainment on board was good. The sail away party was the best! They did another one in Barbados since passengers can get on there, too, but it was a shortened version. The shows were ok - they did well for what they were given to perform. We went to the adult comedians a couple times - they were definately R rated, so just be prepared. We went to the piano bar a couple times and had some fun. We tried to go dancing a couple times. The first night, there were very few people there and we didn't want to be the only ones dancing. The second night the dj was playing odd music and again people weren't dancing. On the day at sea everyone went to the club and we had a great time. There were always tons of activities and we didn't do half of what we wanted to do/what looked interesting.

All of the staff took great care of us. We had a towel animal every night and ice every afternoon and evening. We never had to call and ask for anything. We ordered room service one morning for breakfast and they delivered it about 10 minutes earlier than the range we had listed on the card. Better early than late in my book.

The pools were pretty nice, we didn't have any trouble finding chairs. We didn't make it to the water slide. On the day at sea, we got chairs decently early (before 11am) on the promenade deck overlooking the main pool and were happy with our spot.

See port reviews for what we did where. We had a great trip! Very happy with Carnival. There was always something going on/something to do. I would do this exact cruise again! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Riviera

We were at the back of the ship and were woken up every morning when they were docking by very loud noices.

We got in a day early and stayed at the El San Juan Resort and Casino. The hotel was really nice and very comfortable. Sunday morning we walked the beach and swam in the pools. We got ready and checked out at noon. We got a cab directly to the port and checked in there (a little over an hour to get checked in, the lines were pretty long). We got on the ship, were able to check out our room and ate lunch before getting off to explore Old San Juan. We wanted to take the trolley to one of the forts, but the trolley that we got on was more of a local bus. we took a nice stroll along the coastline before going in the correct direction to Castillo de San Cristobal. We heard that was the bigger/nicer of the forts. We enjoyed exploring and got some great pictures. We walked back to the ship. The walk to the fort is totally doable and I wish we would have skipped the whole trolley experience. We didn't really see much else in OSJ that peaked our interest. We went back to the ship for dinner.
Read 1366 San Juan Reviews

We got a late start this day and had wanted to get a taxi to see the Pitons, but apparently it's a 4-5 hour tour to get to them. So the taxi driver that we talked to was very nice and got another couple to join us for a tour of the northern part of the island. I think the tour was $15 per person. The other couple got dropped off at the beach for the afternoon, but we went back to the ship. We had gotten a little too much sun in Barbados. There was a great souvineer shop at the port and got lots of great little souvenirs. Got lunch on the ship and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon.

We did Blackbeard's Castle. We took a taxi $8 per person. The admission was $14. Had a nice time touring the historic sites and getting little tours. Great views and the rum factory was nice. We wore our bathing suits and took a refreshing dip in one of the pools. It was definately something different to do and I'm glad that's what we picked. The title of "Williamsburg of the Caribbean" suits it perfectly. We asked one of the tour guides the best way to get back to the ship and he gave us directions to decend the 99 steps into town and then walk the one mile along the bay back the ship. In town, we shopped at the straw market. It was the best straw market that I have been to. Lots of stalls with a great variety, the vendors weren't overly obnoxious. Did some bargaining and we bought jewelry, tshirts, scarves and a purse. I wish I would have brought more money in smaller bills becuase I could have done a lot more shopping! We ate lunch on the ship and swam at the pool for the afternoon.
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews