Island Escape Cruise Review by DBownes: Great Holiday

Great Holiday

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

I booked this cruise based on one I took 4 years ago on the Island star. I was really excited as I knew what to expect and It didn't let me down. Great food,Great service, Great entertainment and loads to see and do.
Cabin:
We had an inside cabin on deck 6 which was ok. It was a little dated but comfortable and very clean. Our steward cleaned and turned down our cabin at least 3 times a day. Electrics: You need a US adapter NOT european, I found that Our mobile phones (all Samsung)charged with no problem, so did the Advent netbook. The i pod did not charge so we charged this via USB off the netbook. My wife bought straighteners that use universal voltage and they worked fine. Last time we had an outside cabin but didn't miss having a porthole this time.
Food:
There were 3 main places to eat, The beachcomber, buffet style with counter service, Plastic plates and cups, great selection of food, open 24/7 great for getting a bite to eat when you don't want to make a big More deal of it.
The Island restaurant, The same great food as the beachcomber but more like a carvery with silver service waiters, sounds a bit of a contradiction I know but it works, we ended up having breakfast and evening meals here as it felt really special. for evening meals arrive between 18:30 and 18:45 so as not to queue for a table.
Oasis restaurant is similar but with an al a caret menu. We did not use this as it was extra cost and we did not feel the need as the Island was so good.
Entertainment:
There is lots going on and we did not do it all. We went to the 2 theatres a couple of nights and watched the band & comedian, both were very good the rest of the time we went to the sundowner lounge and watched 20/20 & Chris Guerero (Chris was really good)
Didn't use the kids club but those that did seemed to be having a great time.
On deck:
Loads of deck space and you can go lively by the pool or find somewhere secluded and quiet you generally get a wonderful sea breeze up on the higher decks
Pool:
Was a bit small and filled with salt water no good really for swimming but great for cooling down.
Drinks package:
I didn't have it but my mates family did, there was lots more included than we thought (stella and cocktails). I drink cider which isn't included however I would have made do had I realised. There package was £420 I spent £460 and they probably drank a little more than us. Cider was £3.85 (strongbow) Bulmers bottle was £5 Stella was £3.85, San miguel was £3.55, cocktails of the day were £2.85 and they were strong. Coke was £1.85
Crew: Very helpful, treated us like royalty
Ports:
Palma: Didn't look around saw it from the coach nothing special
Ajaccio: Nice place get off the boat turn left 1/4 mile great beach shops and bars.
La Spezia great to walk around great architecture loads of shops lovely palm tree lined promenade
Villefranche: nice but do not miss Monaco and Monte Carlo Brilliant!
Toulon: Not much there nice harbour
Barcelona: did the nou camp (not impressed 100,000 seater dump) shirt for my son cost 100 euros, Barcelona was ok but a lot of litter and gangs of Africans getting chased by the police really made this an uncomfortable visit.
If you are used to cruising this is the bottom end of the market. If you have not cruised before this will blow you away as it is so much better than a beach holiday. You are pampered from start to finish enjoy great food drink and entertainment and wake up in a new place every day.
Check my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSZ-H9LfzOw&feature=plcp Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Escape Review >>

Cabin review: Island Escape

Deck 6 inside cabin Small but comfortable, very clean, a bit dated, never far from elevator or stairs