Pride of America Cruise Review by Kiwileigh: Helpful comments for POA Cruisers

Helpful comments for POA Cruisers

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

This is the 2nd time we have taken this cruise and here was some comments that may be helpful to anyone planning a POA cruise.
We stayed at Marriott Waikiki 3 days prior mainly to take advantage of pre registering and checking in and transfers with luggage to Pier.
Nothing has changed in the NCL Marriott Office, the staff are still completely bored
and whilst not unpleasant just "do their job"!! not even a welcome "Aloha" or smile , just like previous trip. .. a complete contrast to staff on board ship
who are definitely in the "hospitality business" and it shows!I have suggested they be included in on board staff training classes! as they certainly let the side down.
Also, no visible signage or checkin point to gather for bus transfer to pier. NCL person "appeared" 5 minutes before bus arrived and only that we had been before we knew the procedure, but many others didnt. This needs improvement as its the start of your journey and sets the mood.
The More refurbishments were all good, with exception of Lazy J. Its half the size it was, and no idea its a steakhouse by the decore, it could be anything. Its missing a "room manager".. the previous manager was great and created an ambiance. The steak is nothing special and not worth the additional covercharge, quite a disappointment.
Jefferson's was great, as previous, but also missing a "room manager" with a personality to suit the room. The 2 girls on duty spent the time on the computer and did not greet anyone. The food
was great and some of the lamb I have ever had.
Otherwise the food on buffets and elsewhere was not hot enough and mostly quite bland.The Asian stirfry ( with garlic!! )area was a great addition.
The entertainment was much improved in particular the production numbers and cruise director.
We were AFT FAMILY BALCONY and unfortunately I was not aware when I booked it was adjoining to a suite. The adjoined door had no insulation and was paper thin and once the family with 2 young kids checked the noise was very obvious, especially the kids learning to play "happy Birthday" on the Ukulele, every afternoon, inside and outside on the veranda!!! Not a quiet time at all.
Mentioned to front desk and they sent us a bottle wine! which was nice, but
did not solve the problem. This engineering design needs to be investigated and improved as I cant believe we are the first people to notice this.It did not make our balcony time pleasant unless our neighbours were out!

Suggest management and crew do a "noise trial" experiment.

This is something I will watch out for when I book future cruises.

I booked this cruise 7 months in advance and wanted to make contact with my
"cruise consultant" with some questions, a month before the actual cruise.
After 5/6 attempts by email, and a couple of phone calls not returned, discovered he had "moved to another department".... he had not passed my file to anyone, and when I finally located another "cruise consultant" he was not helpful either. I sent a note to PR dept about my experience and am yet to hear from anyone. Hard as I try to make NCL my favourite Cruise Line, they are making it hard to do that!!
We really enjoy Hawaii and the islands but doubt if we will take this particular cruise again. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America 9200

Aft 9200 has an adjoining suite next door. The Door is paper thin and you can hear every noise made, particularly when there are children involved! Cabin fine otherwise. Plan to be more thorough when choosing a cabin on next cruise and wont let this happen again.