Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by MsSundance: Boston to Bermuda

Boston to Bermuda

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

Our cruise from Boston to beautiful Bermuda was a lot of fun. The cruise director, Paul Scally, was very good and very funny; Second City Improv was excellent as were the magician, Justino Zoppe and his wife, Diana; impressionist Greg London; and the other stage and lounge entertainers. The ship is very nice, easy to find your way around. Dress is a lot more casual than on other cruises we've been on, which made it easier to pack! Deck 7 is the best for your daily walk...4 laps around equals 1.4 miles or a quiet place to relax in a lounger.

But, unfortunately, there were a few negatives:

One was the glassware and cups in the buffet...there is such a lot of encouragement to keep your hands clean, yet there was not one day where I didn't pick up several dirty glasses and / or cups from the dishwasher baskets. There was either lipstick on them or the inside of the glass / cup was dirty. One day I looked at 10 cups before I found one I felt was ok to drink from, and then More I used a straw.

The second was our cabin steward. He seemed to have a problem remembering our request for a couple extra towels each day or to replace the used glassware and refill the ice bucket (he DID leave those cute animal towels, however). One evening, he neglected to leave pool / beach towels in our cabin. Upon asking him about them the next morning, he merely said they were in the laundry. Does that mean NO ONE got any towels? He also did not do a great job in cleaning...we found someone's bathing suit under the bed when we first entered the cabin and the balcony didn't get any attention. His reason? He was in a hurry.

The third was the lack of variety of menu items in the two main (complimentary) dining rooms. There was only one or two different choices each day, leaving the rest of the menu the same every day. It seems if a passenger wants food variety, he must pay extra for it.

Fourth, while I understand that cruise lines are looking to increase their bottom line, all the extra methods they have devised to try to squeeze out every last dollar from the passengers via lottery tickets, for-a-fee demonstrations, etc. seems unfair.

Fifth, the pool was too small to accommodate a lot of passengers on sea days. It's too bad there isn't a pool for kids only.

Lastly, while the shows in general were good, the production singers were only so-so.

I would recommend this cruise if the above things don't matter all that much to you. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>