Island Escape Cruise Review by dahiah19

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: OT
See More About: Island Escape Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
        3-6 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Island Escape Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Island Escape Deck Plans
Really very good
I just wanted to write a review to say what a good time we had on the Glitz and Glamour cruise as I had read loads of really negative comments throughout the net before we travelled. Between the adults in our party we have been on 4 cruises all of which were with the top end, more luxury cruise lines and all three of us felt that this cruise was equally enjoyable. Yes it's reasonably basic and yes it's quite "Butlins-esque" on the entertainment front BUT you do have to factor in the price difference. Four of us paid pretty much what one person would pay for a "P&O" type cruise. The only thing that I think may put some people off is that the swimming pool is VERY salty water (more so than the sea water at the beach we went to, this is very unpleasant when you inevetably get it in your mouth and eyes but to be honest I don't know if this is the same for all pools on cruises.

The four of us all stayed in one outside cabin with two bunk beds and I felt that the room was actually more spacious than I expected. We eat the whole week in the self service buffet and whilst the food is obviously not always scorching hot (I don't think I've ever had a self sevice buffet that was)it was VERY good and we all commented on how well ALL the meats were cooked every day. They were really very nicely cooked, NOT dry, NOT tough, NOT undercooked. Plenty of choice of food with a few themed nights (Chinese, Indian, Pasta). You can help yourself ALL day to Tea and Coffee and cold water and during the breakfast service there's fruit juice. There is a sign saying that you can't refill water bottles due to health reasons but if you take the glasses of drink to a table and then decant them into a bottle this is a simple way to keep hydrated if you don't want to purchase drinks from the bar. The kids club (4yr old girl) was also a big hit.

All in all, our 4 generation family had a really lovely holiday at a cost of about £600 each and I will definitly be looking to do it again next year.

Publication Date: 08/30/12