Celebrity Century Cruise Review by northwestcruiser2: Stinky

Stinky

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Cruised Celebrity Century Aug 19th - 26th 2012 out of Vancouver. This was my 5th cruise and first time with Celebrity.

The cruise stank and I mean that literally as there was something wrong with the ship and after about day 3 there was a pungent methane/sewage smell that came and went for hours each day. The ship is old and showing wear. We were in a Sky Suite (1066). The deck was huge and we spent much time relaxing out there, however, some of the wood floor boards were lifting and the area needed paint. Other than the bathtub and large balcony, I don't know the difference between this and any other balcony room (although it did get us premium boarding on the ship). My roommate's mattress sagged in the middle like something you'd find at a hostel. There was only one plug so we took turns charging devices and, although there are 2 phones in the room, one didn't work at all and the one in the washroom only worked when you put it on "speaker".

The shows in the main More theater were only okay. The cruise director did a great job but the quality of the other performers was lacking. We often left halfway through a performance out of boredom.

We had massages that we looked forward to but the rooms were medicinal and brightly lit. When on my stomach looking through the space for my face, the view was of a thick yellow extension cord which I found tacky at best. Spa staff shorted us on our massage times and concentrated on a hard sell to get us signed up for more expensive services. The acupuncturist on board did help with a shoulder pain I was experiencing and was very professional but rates are pricey.

The dining room service was excellent and the food was good and, on some nights, very good. However, the Island Cafe buffet was very often the same old thing and many times the food was barely warm. Cova Caffe was a favorite spot of mine for a latte and pastry in the morning or late afternoon and Iryna who worked there was charming and attentive. The bartender in the martini bar (Agus) kept us entertained with his amazing abilities to toss bottles and pour up to 10 cocktails simultaneously.

Ports were mostly boring and those who came back from various excursions weren't impressed with their experiences. However, Hubbard Glacier blew us away and, Milo, the ship's naturalist did an impressive job of keeping us informed and entertained.

I enjoy cruising and the best part, of course, is the fabulous service. The Century staff did all they could to give us a great cruise and that's the only thing that makes this cruise a 5 out of 10 instead of a 2 out of 10. Dining room staff (especially Domingos) went over and above and so did our stateroom attendant (Leonardo). Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Sky Suite Penthouse Deck (10) 1066

We were in a Sky Suite (1066). The balcony was huge and we spent much time relaxing out there, however, some of the wood floor boards were lifting and the area needed paint. Other than the bathtub and large balcony, I don't know the difference between this and any other balcony room (although it did get us premium boarding on the ship). There was fresh fruit and hors d'oeuvres delivered daily which is a nice touch. My roommate's mattress sagged in the middle like something you'd find at a hostel. There was only one plug so we took turns charging devices and, although there are 2 phones in the room, one didn't work at all and the one in the washroom only worked when you put it on "speaker". The cabin is just seconds from the Island Cafe one floor up which was advantageous. Leonardo D'Costa was our attendant and he went above and beyond even delivering me fresh ice three times a day for an injured shoulder.

Not a lot to do in Hoonah but we did get off the ship (tendered off). Mostly stores and a nice little forested walk. It was cool (50 degrees F) but not raining. There was a camp fire set up on the beach with log seating and a view of the ship which we found a very nice touch. We did not go on the Zip Rider as I had an injured shoulder but it was the one excursion that seemed to wow everyone we talked to. We watched the riders come in and leave on their ride and they all seemed to have a wonderful time. One of our dinner companions tried the halibut fishing but they didn't catch anything and he complained that it was poorly organized.

The biggest and busiest city on the cruise and if you want to do gift shopping you'll have no problem finding what you want here.
Read 838 Juneau Reviews

Mount Roberts Tramway

(4)
We didn't book the tram in advance with the cruise ship but there was no problem getting it ourselves. The building entrance is less than a 5 minute walk off the ship. We decided to wait until after lunch to give the clouds a chance to burn off and we were rewarded with great views. It's definitely a leisurely ride that anyone can enjoy. My roommate has a fear of heights but had no problem with this ride because it was so smooth and effortless. At the top of the tram ride we enjoyed the small store, a visit to a bald eagle and a brief show (free). The entire experience including the ride up and down was less than an hour but we felt it was quaint and well worth it for the view.

After about a half hour we didn't know what to do with ourselves. My friend enjoyed shopping but there are dozens of jewelry shops within a couple blocks and, for me, that gold old real quick. It was raining but, being from Vancouver, it didn't bother us at all. The ship offers umbrellas although we didn't use them. We heard many of our cruisemates say they quite enjoyed the lumberjack show. They said it was funny and entertaining.