Zuiderdam Cruise Review by Wakeraker

Member Name: Wakeraker
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Alaska Great, HAL not so hot!
To start, this is my 1st online review, but I feel it's important given how people use these services to make vacation choices. This is my 6th cruise and first with HAL and most likely last.

When we got to our stateroom it was not made-up and was a total mess. We told the stewards and they promptly dealt with it and the room was well cared for through the cruise. A day in our charge card was deactivated. I have no idea why. They said they had no credit card number, but one was given online and at check-in. Needless to say, total pain and waste of time.

We booked a bunch of stuff at the spa and got over charged (also, most good times were booked early)... Had to deal with the manager to get credited. The jets in the pool didn't work and we got informed that HAL charged us less for the thermal pool, only to find out it was the same or more.

We Brought the unlimited soda card, but nobody told us it was only 6 oz. of fountain soda. Happy hour, told "buy one drink, get one for a dollar" but when I ordered a Johnnie Walker Black was told "sorry, only counts for drinks under $6.

We dinned in the specialty restaurant the 1st night and it was pretty good, but nothing special. The 2nd night was a formal night and we tried the main dinning room. The food was so poor we hardly ate (whited lettuce, over cooked and under seasoned). It was like a bad wedding. We had booked the specialty restaurant the next two nights anyway. We tried the dinning room one more night and again the same. So, we decided to book the specialty dining the last night only to be denied. It was booked full. I guess others caught on. I was upset that the waiter or host didn't give us a heads-up to book it.

The ship was rundown and smelled of mold in various areas.

It just seemed cheap and classless.

That said, the music in the crows nest was nice. Gary was very talented. The guys that made the lattes in the cafe seemed to care. Most others didn't.

The saving grace was Alaska. I have been to all 50 US state, all over Europe and Asia and Alaska is a jewel of the earth. All the post and tour were great and well worth the cost.

Overall, Alaska was great and HAL wasn't.

Publication Date: 08/30/12