Celebrity Century Cruise Review by shadfish: Alaska Hubbard Glacier 7 Night

Alaska Hubbard Glacier 7 Night

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Stateroom and Ship Appearance Overall this is a good cruise for 7 nights. However I was a bit dissapointed by the ship. It's name is the Centuary and this fits the bill as it is definately looking it's age. Lots of rusty steel and tarnished brass fittings. Outside doors on promanade deck look as if they have been bought at a second hand shop. Our cabin interior decor looked rather worn and knocked about - not enough to complain about - but enough to be slightly irritating when having paid out a not insignificant amount of money to go cruising.

Food
Standard of food served in main dinning room was very good and served efficiently by happy looking staff. Choice of wine and standard also very good.
If you want a table next to a window then you have to ask. I have not yet discovered the secret of getting these automatically!

Food served in buffet lounge was average to good - but portions tended to be small. I nearly always had to ask for another portion to be put More on my plate to compansate for this. Staff at buffet generally polite but a few were rather morose looking.

Typical of ship class standards, just OK, dont expect London west-end.
Having said that I think all those involved worked hard to deliver their best.

Activities for kids
My son is 13 and spent most of ship time at the teen club. They do a good job at keeping them happy. If they are well behaved they get a visit to the navigational bridge near the end of the cruise.

This was very efficient and painless - well done here.

Would I go again
Yes, I was glad I went on this cruise. However Celebrity need to retire the Centuary soon as there are just too many pimples and warts beginning to show up on the old lady and no amount of foundation will hide them any more. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Panorama Deck (8) 8045

Wood fittings a bit marred and edge of a wooden shelf had grey paint marks daubed on it. Cabin was not dusted thouroughly enough for my liking although standard of clenliness was generally good. Cabin has just enough space for 2 adults. We had our 13 year old son with us on a fold away bed and this made for cramped living. Shower room size good but hand/face basin rather shallow. Some would find toilet flush button hard to push. Air-con is efficient but noisy.

Well, to be honest, there is not much to see here except to wonder that you are in a land locked fishing hamlet miles from civilisation - just a bit different to make you want to go and visit! For those with a bit of dangerlust there is a zip-line ride which claims to be the longest in north America and gets you going up to 60 miles/hour. I saw grannies taking this trip.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
Great view of this glacier from the well equipped visitor centre. There is also a pretty water-fall to walk to or just view.

Mount Roberts Tramway

(4)
There are great views available up here although, being Juneau, you might not see much because of the clouds and mist. I rated it as a 4 because the clouds were down on that day! You can also get a meal at the restaurant which, among other things, serves locally caught crab. This is also the starting point for some good hikes, short and long.

Rainforest Hike

(5)
We did the rainforest hike on the island via the speedboat. Great speedboat trip to the island. Boat stopped several times to check out bald eagles and nests. Island temperate rain-forest quite interesting for those into that kind of thing. Hike is easy board walk of about 1 mile. Vendor provided hot drinks and fresh smoked salmon snack at end of hike - nice unadvertised suprise.