Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Berghaus

Member Name: Berghaus
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        10-12 3.0
        13-15 3.0

Liberty of the Seas - August 2012
Got a great deal for two interior adjacent cabins for myself, my wife and two kids aged 10 and 12.

I'll start with the lowlight first as it will serve as a warning to other parents with young kids. My son broke his arm on the cruise not by ice-skating, rock climbing or flo-riding but by sitting in a chair.

The viewing chairs around the ice skating rink are different to those in the theatre which we were used to. The theatre seats are typical cinema seats with a rigid back and a flexible base. In the ice rink the chair back is not rigid so when you sit in the chair the back moves as well as the base. My son sat in the chair with his arm draped over the back of the chair. When he sat down his body weight moved the back of the chair and crushed his muscles and broke his arm. This happened as he sitting in the back row and his arm was trapped between the metal bar rail that separated the chair from the walkway. Had he sat in that position in any other chair his arm would not have been broken as there are no metal bars behind the other chairs. So beware!!! I asked the ship safety officer if there was anything we could have done to avoid the accident and he said "I hope you understand but I cannot answer that question".

The ship hospital xrayed my son and confirmed the break but didn't have the facilities to put the arm in a pot and we advised to go to Barcelona hospital when the shipped docked at the end of the cruise. So they placed him in a sling and he had to be very careful for a couple of days.

Despite the ship negligence we did have a great cruise. The entertainment was really good - ice dance show was spectacular, the Argentinian whip and boleros team were very funny. The piano man, David Curtis was a spectacle to behold - he was funny and wove old and new songs together to entertain everyone.

The my time dining was great as booked our meal times at the start of the week based around our excursions and various show times.

Pompeii was worth a visit but you don't need to pay the RCI prices as soon as walk out of the Naples port there is a newsagent that sells day tickets for the sorrento line. This includes the cost of the tram to the station. The stop is next to the newsagent and runs every 10 minutes

Publication Date: 08/30/12