Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by familyofour

Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Aqua 9133 & 9127 Aug 19th Summit
We stayed in 9133 & 9137 Aqua class in Summit and had no problems with the bathrooms or noise which seems to be the biggest concern of future travelers but we did have a few surprises.

Our bathrooms were both clean and there was NO mold or dirt, etc. in the shower. The shower was very nice but it was tough NOT to get the floor wet! Overall we heard very little noise, probably less than a hotel room and it was not bothersome at all. The most noise we heard was upon arriving in Bermuda...coming from below us but we did not mind in the least and it was only a short time and we wanted to wake up anyway. There was a small amount of fuel smell rarely, and it was nearer the elevator, not in our room. We could not smell smoke in or near our room and we were port side which is the smoking side. There is no smoking allowed in rooms or balconies of course. No one seemed to break that rule.

The service was EXCELLENT, pretty much every where. They have got that part down....They do offer mimosas, oj or champagne when you arrive which is very nice. The cold towels and water were nice after a long day at the beach in bermuda. The extra touches were noticed and appreciated by us as we have sailed RC and did not get that. Beach towels provided were a plus also.

Now for some surprises. I felt that the stateroom attendant gave me resistance to my first requests which consisted of clearing the fridge, extra water and shrimp instead of canopies at four. But We really did not have any major complaints except that you get only the two bottles of water in your room and not more as others have said on the boards if requested. So, I did not bring my usual case of waters in anticipation of getting extra.

Our stateroom attendant was reluctant to remove items in the fridge too. But I insisted and he cleared off or moved the items on two shelves. I asked for shrimp instead of the usual canapies since I read numerous times that it was possible on this thread. He said he would check and ultimately did it but it was something I would not repeat. It just was not necessary and the shrimp were small. you could easily get them at dinner and not worry about them waiting for you in the cabin. So I would opt for cheese and crackers next time.

Also, watch your OBC too. Mine was short what I was expecting and went to Customer service. They said it would be fixed next day and it was. Save yourself the trouble and don't even look until the next day when things get settled. The line the first day for customer relations was long.

***Don't go CLIFF diving or let your children do this at Horseshoe Bay.^^^ Thats my number one tip. A young tourist was SERIOUSLY injured during our stay. We are talking about ruining your LIFE not just your cruise, so please be aware....Also the waves are rough at Elbow beach but ALOT of fun. Scraped knees from the sand and being tossed around by the breaking surf when we went. My daughter was tossed around like she was in a washing machine and loved every minute. Lots of fun and worth the scraped knees. Also do NOT walk barefoot on the grass there. My daughter got a big thorn in her foot. The onboard medic provided us with large bandaids at no charge and told us our room steward would provide regular bandaids. (Yes, we were that sand burned from the waves but we wore our wounds proudly with great stories to tell!)

Entertainment for teens and 20 somethings was not that great. My advice is to tell your kids to make your own fun. Go to the events and hopefully more kids will join in. I think it was more of kids not showing for events as the counselors were there...although the teen pool party was active and looked like fun when they closed the pool to all others but teens at 10:00.

The 18 to 30 year old entertainment schedule was really too late. Most dances started at midnight and when my oldest went there at that time, there were retirees dancing to oldies!! She never found an age appropriate entertainment venue. I wonder if it is because the only thing available for her age were bars? Could it be the Celebrity plan to get more money? That was very disappointing for her. Especially since she waited most of the night to go. As we ate in Blu for breakfast we had to get there around 8 am, since they stop serving between 9 and 9:30, so she was tired by midnight!!

One example of making your own fun was one of the ship's dance crew members was teaching a teen dance class. That was very nice as he volunteered his time as he was one of the professional ship dancers (he was 20 and very nice to the kids). My 16 year old daughter showed up and no one else did. He told me it was struggle every week to get kids to do this. So my daughter opted to go in the teen club and ask the kids just hanging in there to come....they did and she got five boys to join her and they had a blast. Since there were alot of boys in the group, he geared it toward warm up and boot camp excercise which they all liked. So I think that if they motivate each other, they could have fun. But they must PARTICIPATE.....and tell your kids to make their own fun. If I were running this ship, I would have two enthusiatic kids one of each gender in the group hired by the ship to motivate the others...that would get them all excited about participating. I also think they should listen to the kids about music choices. If they had a Dubstep dance at around 10 or so both of my kids would have loved it and probably lots of others.

We did eat in blu and really liked the breakfast. One night we ate in the Dining Room as there are many more choices there. We had Joe Konrad and he was a spectacular server, Mustopha was also good. We found the food in the DR to be as good as the food in blu for dinner. In the dining room, we had T-Bone steak which was not an option in blu, as well as clam sauce pasta.

We did enjoy the quieter atmosphere in blu but the food quality was pretty close to be honest, with less desert and meal choice at dinner.

Another big surprise: NO, they do NOT let you order from the DR menu in BLU as previously posted. You get only the BLU menu. Both menus are posted outside in the halls for the DR and Blu so you could choose upon arrival and choose anytime dining if you decided you like that menu better. There was always more choice on the DR menu. Service was excellent in both places. In blu, we had Mostappha ? from Turkey, John S (always smiling) Trolly John (breakfast), Dexter and Nicholas. All so personable and non intrusive. Pearline, the house keeping manager was quick to fix a small problem I told her. So I was happy with that.

There is some lacking in entertainment if I am being honest. I don't really care for singing and dancing although the DANCE crew was EXCELLENT. It is just not my thing. I prefer comedians and game shows with audience participation. I was glad that they kept the 9:00 shows family friendly even with the comedians as we did alot as a family.

Beds were comfortable and the room was pretty quiet. The slippers were nice to have in AQ and loved the ice and water. The bottle of bubbly was a nice touch as it lay waiting in ice upon arrival. I think they are making a good effort in AQ but it was my first cruise with Celebrity so I did not know what to expect. The ship did not seem crowded anywhere but the pool deck. We really enjoyed the Persian Gardens too. Overall, a very nice cruise.

Publication Date: 08/30/12