Disney Dream Cruise Review by yak

7-9 1.0
        13-15 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Disney Dream Aug 19-24
Booked a 6A GTY rate and received an upgrade to 5C a few weeks prior to departure.

Drove to Florida the day before departure and stayed in the Residence Inn Port Canaveral. Well I have been a pretty much rigid Marriott only hotel guy for a long time. This hotel made me want to contact Marriott directly to say something. Booked the room for 4 people, and arrived to find 2nd bed unmade and only 2 towels in the room. Called reception and they said housekeeping would be right up to remedy the situation. About 30 minutes later housekeeping knocked on the door handed me sheets and towels and walked away. I guess you get to make your own bed in this particular Residence Inn. I've sent a complaint letter to Marriott. Breakfast was good the following morning but completely a madhouse. 3 cruise ships all leaving the same day.

Parked the car at Radisson next door, which I reserved several days before arrival. Paid $37 and change for parking and got on the bus to the cruise terminal.

Terminal was easy. Check in was a breeze. Assigned boarding group #7 and found out that they were on group #10 which made me scratch my head. We boarded right away, as the kid's club armband line was about a mile long. A Disney agent suggested we go to the club onboard as there were more desks issuing the armbands onboard. He was correct and no line at all.

Ship... Very clean and impressive. The layout is a bit confusing at first, and I really didn't have a clear understanding of the layout until day 3. The main pool deck is nice, but shade is HARD to find. Kids everywhere and in everything. Lots of parents letting their kids run rampant. I expected it from previous reviews so it was not a complete surprise. The dining rooms were all good, and the food was very good compared to Carnival, but not close at all to the Celebrity level for those familiar with their incredible food quality. I did enjoy every meal, and ate way too much of course. The 5C stateroom was completely adequate and the two bathroom separation was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and my children both said their beds were good.

Ports... Castaway Cay twice... amazing. Get there early and find a hammock in the shade. The snorkeling was fun, but be prepared for a long swim to find the Mickey statue under the water. Nassau... went to Atlantis again. Always fun, but you have to be prepared to stand in some lines or either skip some rides. We decided to skip rides this time and did the lazy river a bunch of times.

Disembarkation... Pretty standard as in any cruise. You have the option of walking off carrying your own bags or put them outside your room before 1030 the night before. You have the option of eating breakfast onboard the morning of disembarkation. You eat in the dining room that you ate in the previous evening. The meal is menu based and pretty simple and is not a buffet. We left the ship at 0830 and were through customs with our bags on outside waiting on the Radisson bus which arrived within 10 minutes of us hitting the curb. Very easy.

I cannot say much about the onboard kids clubs. Both my children didn't want to stay in there at all. We looked at it as a good thing since we don't have too many more years until they are gonna be too cool to hang out with Mom and Dad.

Publication Date: 08/30/12