Volendam Cruise Review by Norabar: Volendam Perfection

Volendam Perfection

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I am a 3-trip veteran of the Hurtigruten voyages along the coast of Norway & I thought there could be nothing more magnificent...but I just spent 7 days on the MS Volendam, cruising Alaska's Inside Passage and the trip was perfection.

The charming, comfortable cabin had ample closet & drawer space for 3 adults. Our quiet verandah gave me restful alone moments with a breathtaking view. We're early risers & on the 1st morning we sampled a 6:00am light breakfast tray ordered from room service. Piping hot coffee, tea & fruited muesli, elegantly served, became our favorite way to begin each day. Food, food,food...morn, noon & night: gourmet delights in the formal dining room - gourmet & comfort food in the casual Lido buffet - afternoon teas, an Indonesian banquet, late night snacks & 24 hr. room service. (For an extra charge there are also 2 elegant, intimate restaurants requiring reservations.)

The Alaskan scenery is gorgeous & continuous...no long passages with nothing More to see. The cruise itinerary is well planned. 3 fascinating Alaskan ports offering shore excursions so numerous, it's hard to make a choice: ranging from whale watching to a train trip up the old prospectors trail to the Klondike. My adult children took the whale watching & Mendenhall glacier tour out of Juneau, the train trip out of Skagway and in Ketchikan, they went walking about town & up to Saxman Village to see the marvelous totem poles. Even on the day it rained, they found it all exhilarating.

There is a day of cruising in the awesome environs of Glacier Bay amid humpback whales, Orcas, porpoises, & sea otters at sea and bears & wolves on shore, watched over by bald eagles perched on the small icebergs.

The atmosphere aboard ship was outstanding. Staff & crew were immediately there when you needed but otherwise unobtrusive. And every one of them was friendly, very helpful and always greeted us with a gracious smile. Each day & night there were a myriad of activities for all ages & tastes: entertainment from Broadway-type shows to a string quartet. There were bars & lounges & pools and still there were quiet, unfrequented spaces where someone like me could relax & view the splendor of Alaska sail by. For all the passengers on board, the ship never felt crowded. Yes, there are days when low clouds hang in the valleys and a misty drizzle enshrouds the land, but that is why Alaska is so green and gorgeous. And when the sun comes out it shines on a world that is indescribably beautiful.

I am a traveler who likes the feel of traveling. I love to feel the swelling sea. I love to hear the hum and feel the vibrations of the giant pistons and I love to watch the world cruising past. The Volendam has it all. It was a perfect trip even when the Alaskan weather was inclement. Less

Read more Volendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Volendam Review >>

Cabin review: Volendam Verandah Suite Verandah 6180

There were 3 of us adults. We had a verandah cabin on deck 6. The cabin was beautiful, impeccably cared for, very comfortable and with ample closet & drawer space for 3.

My adult children preferred to be on their own, hiking around town & up to Saxman Village to see the amazing totem poles. It drizzled all day, which is often the case along the Alaskan coast, but we had come prepared for rain and they thoroughly enjoyed the excursion.