Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Psych73

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: Psych73
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8E

Carnival Glory to Canada
This was my fifth cruise. It is the third to Canada (other voyages to this region taken with Princess and Celebrity) and our second Carnival cruise.

This cruise would not have been my first choice as I have been here twice, but we went with another couple as a surprise present for his birthday.

SHIP: The Carnival Glory is a fine ship with some very nice public spaces. Each public space is named after a color. The ship was clean and appealing throughout.

EMBARKATION: We arrived at the New York terminal at around 11:00 AM. The lines were a bit crowded and slow moving, which I believe was due to some kiosks being out of order. We ran into a paperwork glitch that delayed our entry, although it is worth saying that the staff worked tirelessly with us to ensure the issue could be quickly resolved.

CABIN: We were in a 8E balcony cabin on deck 10 (Panorama). The view was terrific. The cabin was a bit small (smaller than I recall from the Carnival Pride) but we did like how close it was to the Red Sail Restaurant (buffet) and the gym. Our steward was extremely attentive and friendly...in fact...probably the best one my wife and I experienced on our five cruises together.

FOOD and Beverage: We ate in the dining room at 6:00 nightly. Lobster on formal night was good as were most dishes (the Mahi Mahi was also quite good). My friend was disappointed that Chateaubriand and Baked Alaska were not present. Salmon was very disappointing. The other complaint was timing-coffee or milk was often served well after we finished dessert. However, the staff worked hard, were always friendly, and tried to be accommodating. Food most nights was satisfactory in the MDR. Buffet food was fine...nothing to write home about but it was decent. Also, for what it's worth...I've seen some compliants on the price of alcohol. It's worth mentioning that foofy drinks that have about three shots of liquor in them and taste like kool-aid are expensive. I enjoyed the bloody mary specials before noon (less than $5.00) and even higher end liquors (e.g. Bombay Sapphire) was not ridiculous-the prices are fair.

PORTS OF CALL: This was our third time at these ports and although I cannot speak highly enough of the friendliness of the people of these ports (Saint John and Halifax), there's not much to do when you have seen most of it. If you're in Saint John, I do recommend (from a previous cruise) to see the Bay of Fundy at low tide and the Old City Market. We also had fun trying some microbrews in the Big Tide restaurant. Peggy's Cove is a must in Halifax-although this time, we did enjoy the Maritime museum.

ENTERTAINMENT: Shows were fine-"Rock" was good, "Living in America" was a bit long. We always enjoy trivia and the "Battle of the Sexes" game was nice lighthearted fun. The magic show with Justin was excellent. We enjoyed the comedy also. We spent a few nights in the piano lounge-terrific piano player. As for the singing...well...he's a terrific piano player (and very personable). The best part...we got to see a whale in the water during trivia (even one of the assistant directors was excited) and quite a few dolphins jumping through the water-we have never seen this before!

DISEMBARKATION: Are you kidding? This was the best one ever. Disembarkation is known to be a headache and one needs to just be patient. We were told to wait on either deck 9 or deck 5 and out of our rooms by 8:30. On our last Carnival cruise-we waited over 90 minutes. This time-my wife and I left our room at about 7:05. Our deck was called down around 7:15 and we were loading our car around 7:30...easiest one ever!

OTHER COMMENTS: Carnival has a bit of a reputation for rowdy passengers and children who monopolize the ship. I must say that this wasn't our experience. It wasn't easy to get a place on the very nice Serenity Deck but people were pretty well-behaved and, for that, we were fortunate. It's worth mentioning that Carnival is not my favorite line-I like things a bit more upscale and not being sold something every minute (and as other reviewers also indicate...the crazy photo shoots are over the top) but if you know how to navigate these money pits...Carnival can provide a nice value for your money. Overall-a nice time.

Publication Date: 08/28/12