Celebrity Century Cruise Review by thefunnest

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 11
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        3-6 5+
        10-12 5+

Alaska Cruise fun for the whole family
Disembarkation was so easy and well organized. We arrived just before noon and were on the boat with a drink in hand in no time.

We had an inside cabin for four. We had two upper beds that folded against the wall for the children (10 and 4) and it worked just perfectly, It is true that the amount of storage is absolutely amazing. Packing for an Alaska cruise for four people is a challenge with everything from casual to smart casual to formal wear and warm clothes and boots. The stack of luggage we took was ridiculous (we live in Vancouver so didn't have to worry about airline limits) but we had no trouble fitting everything into the ample storage space in the cabin including all the kids toys and paraphernalia that they insisted on bringing.

I love the ship and the layout and appreciated the fact that it was not so hard to get your bearing and know your way around.

The dining room was beautiful the food was delicious. There were so many lovely things to choose from that I only wish I had the capacity to try everything. I loved dining at the same time every night with the same table mates and the same wait staff. It make the everything that much more special and they always remembered what we liked.

I would have preferred to breakfast in the dining room but we stayed up pretty late and had four people to get up in the morning so we didn't often make it before its 9am closing time so went to the buffet. There were definitely ample choices in the buffet and you could certainly find everything you wanted for breakfast. I did however find the configuration a bit confusing and the line ups long and tedious. I would have suggested more stations serving the breakfast basics (eggs, bacon, omelette's toast) and fewer specialty options. This might have made breakfast a bit easier.

Only had lunch in the dining room once (as we were generally too full to eat between breakfast and dinner) but it was lovely. Tried out the hamburgers at the grill and the whole family agreed...delicious.

Loved, loved, loved the cova cafe and all of their little treats.

Went to one of the Broadway numbers and found it very entertaining. Milos was amazing but didn't see any other shows.

Decided not to pre-book an excursions ahead of time as we know it would depend on the weather and the mood of the children what we wanted to do. That worked out fine. On the tender to icy straight saw humpback whales and then a huge pod of orcas upon getting back on the ship. Saves us the purchase of a whale watching tour!!! The kids were not at all interested in Juneau or Ketchikan. We took the shuttle to the Glacier in Juneau and it was cheap and well worth it. The bus driver gave interesting commentary the whole way. We didn't expect a guided tour for $8 each way!. The Glacier is beautiful and as the clouds cleared we got some spectacular pictures.

Our children took great advantage of the kids programs and never ever complained about going. There was always something interesting to do and they made great friends. The age categories are well used to split the kids up when necessary. My 10 year old particularly felt mature even though we didn't grant her permission to sign herself out.

My husband and I both purchased the Premium Beverage Package we we definitely got out money's worth. For everyone that has red the threads on this matter,it is all true. You can try drinks you would not otherwise, move on if something is not to your taste, not fret if your drink spills etc.

Between special coffee, bottles of watter, wine and drinks with dinner, we had no problem drinking more than we paid. I loved trying the $12 glass of ice win that I never would have otherwise tried. Having said that, it is also true that you drink more than you otherwise would and I was somewhat concerned (at least in the back of my head) with making sure that i broke even). As I had granted myself this week to eat and drink without worrying about it, I have no regrets. I got right back on track when I got off the ship and the excess weight was off within the week.

The fitness facilities were much better than I expected and I used them regularly. The machinery was new and well maintained and the view spectacular.

One think I would point out, I did some pretty extensive research on this site before we left on the issue of whether we would be able to swim on an Alaska cruise. Ever response and comment I found said that the outdoor pools on the century were not heated and there would be no swimming unless interested in the polar bear experience. I didn't find any information to the contrary and even saw comments that the Century Today must be wrong when it said aft pool heated because there was no aft pool. I prepared the kids that there would be no swimming but took the suits in case we decided to use the whirlpool.

When we got there I also saw the comment in the Century Today that the aft pool was heated (the one closer to the grill). On the first day I checked it and it was really warm. Less warm that the hot tub but quite warm and plenty warm to swim and enjoy. This was a pleasant surprise to the family and it remained warm and well used throughout the cruise. The pool between this pool and the hot tubs however was cold and used for the polar bear swim that they had.

I didn't think our stateroom service was that great despite meeting him on the first day with a tip (thought that might help get good service throughout the trip but seemed to have the opposite effect). We never received the Celebrity Today or the kids club bulletins until we asked two people and finally went to the front desk, supplies were not replenished until we asked. None of this really mattered because we just asked for what we were missing and eventually, we always got it. Service in the dining room is what was most important to me and it shone. Shout out to Xavier and Jayraj

Publication Date: 08/23/12