Viking Sun Cruise Review by phoebecat

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: A
See More About: Viking Sun Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Viking Sun Deck Plans
Fabulous Rhine Discovery on Viking Sun
Best holiday ever! Cruised ten times on Cunard, Viking knocks spots off them. Superlatives cannot do the staff, ship, itinerary, organisation, food, service, weather (yes we had fantastic weather all trip!) and fellow passengers justice. I posted before we went that I had my doubts about paying the tips. Well, I paid them, in full, I was soooo pleased and so thrilled by the week.

I travelled with my 84 year old Dad as it was his dream to do this trip. Viking looked after us from the moment we landed in Amsterdam to the time we went through security at Basle Airport back to the UK. We met some fantastic people, staff, crew and fellow passengers, and I want to give a HUGE shout out of thanks to Tom Ash the programme director, Connie, head of hotel operations and George and Lazlo our waiters. Anita who kept our room spick and span is the best room attendant Ive had in years of cruising, hotel stays and holidays.

Only slight issue was with the Quietvox system used on tours - sometimes it was a bit crackly. We lived with it. It was no big deal in the great scheme of things. The open dining in the evgs we circumvented by sending a table grabber down at 6.55 pm. Those were my only very slight criticisms.

As to value for money - £4,500 we paid for the two of us, and I understand now Ive been and returned where that money goes. Free bottled water every trip, welcome back fruit shots and cooling towels, amazing local guides, concierge service for taxis, private trips, dinner reservations, printing off boarding passes. Cookies and cakes and coffees and teas and cappuccinos and hot chocolate on tap and night. The wine flowed and flowed with dinner - all included. I had soft drinks, and I could have as many as I wished for over dinner, and just after. We had some fun entertainment - local and quirky, and we had some liquer and cheese tastings, flambe demonstrations and the best talk on Dutch polders and windmills.

I loved the fact we all got INDIVIDUAL disembarkation times depending on our onward travel arrangements. We weren't pushed off the ship at 8 am.

The beds were super comfy, the towels fluffy, the linen luxurious. The cutlery and crockery Villeroy and Boche, the glass ware real crystal. The highlights? Oh too many but the German food market the staff put on for us - that was all the staff, the pianist was serving pretzels and the cruise director sausages!! upon on the deck as we sailed through the castles - oh my. The gateaux that followed - divine.

Dad and I hope to sail with Viking again next year - maybe the Danube. I cannot recommend this company highly enough, and to put in context, I am Mrs Fussy! If it pleases me - it must surely please others too!

Publication Date: 08/23/12