Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by ladyshasha

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by ladyshasha
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: ladyshasha
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Bermuda and beyond
This was our second time cruising with RCCL, the first being on the Monarch of the Seas last year. This ship was slightly bigger than the Monarch but did not seem to have as much going on, especially considering that we were at sea for about half of the trip. The cruise compass was full with activities but they were not for everyone. For example, we were sitting in Boleros one afternoon when a guy came in with scrapbooking kits for a scrapbooking activity. A total of 8 guests joined in. With 2,000 passengers aboard and only 8 people participating I am guessing that it was a waste of time and resources...

Getting on board the ship from the Baltimore cruise terminal was not as smooth as our experience in Port Canaveral, FL. The baggage and parking attendants were borderline rude, however, once inside the terminal people seemed to enjoy their jobs a bit better. We found that the Baltimore terminal was confusing compared to Florida and more hectic. People seemed to be getting in and out of different lines as they realized that they were in the wrong one. Once checked in and sea pass in hand, we were sent to the gangway to board the ship. There was a backup to get on board which we discovered was due to passengers being herded through a parade of vendors in the Centrium. Not the most pleasant way to enter the ship. One the Monarch we were greeted with a cocktail and directions to our cabin. On the Enchantment, we had to fend for ourselves.

Our cabin was not ready so we headed up to the Windjammer with the rest of the passengers and had to fight our way through the crowds to grab some lunch. There was no seating left so we took our food out to the pool deck and luckily squeezed onto a table with other guests. When we got the announcement that our stateroom was ready, we headed down to check it out. We had requested our beds to be together which they were not. I asked our attendant to put them together but he said that he couldn't because our daughter was using the pullman. However, he did put them together in the end. I have to mention that our cabin steward for this trip was awesome! Much better than our steward on the Monarch who didn't show up at all on the last day.

We did My Time dining and I was surprised by the nightly queuing in order to get a table. Other guests that we met commented on the same thing. It turned out to be more of a pain. We never had a line on the Monarch. Also, just as other guests have commented - the dress code is not enforced which is a shame. We requested the same waiter every night which became a bit of a struggle. We ended up with another waiter one night and we were in the dining room for over 2 hours. Most of the time we were sat waiting for courses to arrive. My daughter and I did the seated breakfast in the morning and for lunch. They never allowed us to sit on a table by ourselves even though there were tables set up for 2 people. We always ended up on a table for 8. One morning we were seated and the wait staff keep ignoring us for about 20 minutes. Finally, the waiter came and asked where the rest of our family were! I told him it was just us and he immediately set about serving us. Apparently, they do not start serving until the table is full...

We did not attend the performance shows because we were always at dinner. It would be nice if RCCL could co-ordinate the shows with the seating times of dinner. We did however make it to a couple of movies, the comedian and the magician. They were okay. We did love the musicians in the Schooner Bar. Bernie Martini was fantastic and the waiters were better in there too. We ended up spending most nights in there with the drink-of-the-day and a board game. We did go up to the pool deck for the late night party/buffet. I think this was the only time we managed to get a sun lounger - lol. Not a chance during the day.

It probably sounds like I'm moaning but I don't mean to. My family thoroughly enjoyed this trip because we made our own fun. The ship is clean (staff are cleaning it around the clock!!) and for the most part, the passengers behaved themselves so I can't complain. I enjoyed the opportunity to sit and read a book. Baltimore was convenient for us to sail out of but I would be more prepared for the attitude problem next time. Also, I did not appreciate the big sales pitch getting on board. There was no way to escape it!

Overall, I love cruising and will continue to do so with RCCL. In fact, we booked our next trip before getting off this one! I would not do Bermuda again - there was not much to do for us. However, loved Boston and Rhode Island.

Publication Date: 08/22/12
Read the Bermuda ports review by ladyshasha
More Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews