Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by ladyshasha: Bermuda and beyond

Bermuda and beyond

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Baltimore

This was our second time cruising with RCCL, the first being on the Monarch of the Seas last year. This ship was slightly bigger than the Monarch but did not seem to have as much going on, especially considering that we were at sea for about half of the trip. The cruise compass was full with activities but they were not for everyone. For example, we were sitting in Boleros one afternoon when a guy came in with scrapbooking kits for a scrapbooking activity. A total of 8 guests joined in. With 2,000 passengers aboard and only 8 people participating I am guessing that it was a waste of time and resources...

Getting on board the ship from the Baltimore cruise terminal was not as smooth as our experience in Port Canaveral, FL. The baggage and parking attendants were borderline rude, however, once inside the terminal people seemed to enjoy their jobs a bit better. We found that the Baltimore terminal was confusing compared to Florida and more hectic. People seemed to be getting in More and out of different lines as they realized that they were in the wrong one. Once checked in and sea pass in hand, we were sent to the gangway to board the ship. There was a backup to get on board which we discovered was due to passengers being herded through a parade of vendors in the Centrium. Not the most pleasant way to enter the ship. One the Monarch we were greeted with a cocktail and directions to our cabin. On the Enchantment, we had to fend for ourselves.

Our cabin was not ready so we headed up to the Windjammer with the rest of the passengers and had to fight our way through the crowds to grab some lunch. There was no seating left so we took our food out to the pool deck and luckily squeezed onto a table with other guests. When we got the announcement that our stateroom was ready, we headed down to check it out. We had requested our beds to be together which they were not. I asked our attendant to put them together but he said that he couldn't because our daughter was using the pullman. However, he did put them together in the end. I have to mention that our cabin steward for this trip was awesome! Much better than our steward on the Monarch who didn't show up at all on the last day.

We did My Time dining and I was surprised by the nightly queuing in order to get a table. Other guests that we met commented on the same thing. It turned out to be more of a pain. We never had a line on the Monarch. Also, just as other guests have commented - the dress code is not enforced which is a shame. We requested the same waiter every night which became a bit of a struggle. We ended up with another waiter one night and we were in the dining room for over 2 hours. Most of the time we were sat waiting for courses to arrive. My daughter and I did the seated breakfast in the morning and for lunch. They never allowed us to sit on a table by ourselves even though there were tables set up for 2 people. We always ended up on a table for 8. One morning we were seated and the wait staff keep ignoring us for about 20 minutes. Finally, the waiter came and asked where the rest of our family were! I told him it was just us and he immediately set about serving us. Apparently, they do not start serving until the table is full...

We did not attend the performance shows because we were always at dinner. It would be nice if RCCL could co-ordinate the shows with the seating times of dinner. We did however make it to a couple of movies, the comedian and the magician. They were okay. We did love the musicians in the Schooner Bar. Bernie Martini was fantastic and the waiters were better in there too. We ended up spending most nights in there with the drink-of-the-day and a board game. We did go up to the pool deck for the late night party/buffet. I think this was the only time we managed to get a sun lounger - lol. Not a chance during the day.

It probably sounds like I'm moaning but I don't mean to. My family thoroughly enjoyed this trip because we made our own fun. The ship is clean (staff are cleaning it around the clock!!) and for the most part, the passengers behaved themselves so I can't complain. I enjoyed the opportunity to sit and read a book. Baltimore was convenient for us to sail out of but I would be more prepared for the attitude problem next time. Also, I did not appreciate the big sales pitch getting on board. There was no way to escape it!

Overall, I love cruising and will continue to do so with RCCL. In fact, we booked our next trip before getting off this one! I would not do Bermuda again - there was not much to do for us. However, loved Boston and Rhode Island. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3 4044

Great sized window, good location on the ship, decent bathroom. Closet space taken up by ladders for the pullmans and the lifejackets.

Trolley Tour

(2)
Horrible set up and the operators were arguing with each other. We were made to line up with about 200 other passengers and sorted into groups of about 30. It took 40 minutes to get onto a trolley and then the large families with small children took the best seats next to the windows. No pictures for us! Also, this tour does not stop so if you want a decent picture or anything, you are our of luck anyway. It said in the description that you will see the USS Constitution...yes, but you will only see the masts and sails as you drive by! Would not recommend this tour.

Kings Wharf is a tourist trap just like any other but it was nice and clean which I liked. I did not feel the hard sale like in other ports from taxi drivers and tour operators which was refreshing. There is a public transport ticket vendor right off the gangway so we bought our passes from there and jumped on a water taxi to explore for ourselves. Also, there was a line of public buses waiting to take passengers around the island which was very convenient. I felt safe and it had a relaxing atmosphere. Plenty of shopping (bit over-priced compared to Hamilton) but if you do not want to venture too far, it works.

Walking Tour

(4)
The guide was very informative and took us to places that we would have missed if doing this independently. However, she was brief, to-the-point, and moved us along at a brisk pace. We ended up revisiting our route after she left us so that we could actually get some time to explore what she had shown us. I would recommend this tour to get your bearings and some insight. As I said, she was very informative if lacking in personality.