Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Disabled_Cruiser: Wonderful Ship - Wonderful Cruise

Disabled_Cruiser
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Queen Elizabeth Canary Islands Cruises

Wonderful Ship - Wonderful Cruise

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

Queen Elizabeth had been launched only 2 months before my 1st cruise onboard this magnificent ship. As I said in my introduction, I am a single cruiser, who is disabled (full-time wheelchair user), and I was unsure of how I would manage on my own in a number of different aspects of the cruise... I needn't have worried, as the ship is brilliant for wheelchair (and scooter) users, and the staff bent over backwards to help me if I needed any help.

My stateroom was 4103, which is a fully wheelchair accessible stateroom, with all the amenities that a disabled cruiser could ask for. The room has plenty open floor space to get around the room. The closets have some that are at a height so that the disabled person can get their clothes from the hangers etc... the roll-in shower room, again, is big enough to turn a wheelchair in. The toilet seat is lower so that the wheelchair user doesn't need to struggle with different heights of ledges. The sink is at a suitable height for More wheelchair users with a mirror at the same height.

Around the ship, the ship is very accessible to wheelchair users and mobility scooters alike. There are ramps into certain areas, but these are NOT at a steep incline... they are very shallow.

The staff onboard are extremely helpful... especially when a disabled person is travelling on their own and wants to get off the ship at the ports of call. The staff will assist you to get down the gangway and safely onto firm ground... and again when you want to get back onboard, they are more than willing to assist with getting you there.

All-in-all, I would give Cunard 5/5 for ship and staff, and I would not hesitate in recommending Cunard to any disabled people who would want to go cruising, as you will leave your voyage so much more refreshed than when you boarded... no matter how long or short your voyage is!!! GO CUNARD!!! Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Balcony - Wheelchair Deck 4 4103

My stateroom was 4103, which is a fully wheelchair accessible stateroom, with all the amenities that a disabled cruiser could ask for. The room has plenty open floor space to get around the room. The closets have some that are at a height so that the disabled person can get their clothes from the hangers etc... the roll-in shower room, again, is big enough to turn a wheelchair in. The toilet seat is lower so that the wheelchair user doesn't need to struggle with different heights of ledges. The sink is at a suitable height for wheelchair users with a mirror at the same height. With regards to the balcony itself, there is a tiny slope either side of the doorway for smooth access. I would say that this is about 1/2 inches high, but with a gentle slope. The balcony for this stateroom is in a curved 'L' shape with a table and 2 deck chairs. Again, there is plenty room to move around the balcony area.

I boarded Queen Elizabeth at Ocean Terminal, whcih is a brand new terminal. There are plenty facilities for disabled passengers, and the staff are very helpful. Once you check in for your cruise, it is not long before you are called to board, and you will get all the assistance you require. No need to worry about your luggage, as this is taken from you outside the terminal, and the next time you see it, is when it is delivered to your stateroom by the very friendly staff.