Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Disabled_Cruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Disabled_Cruiser
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth
Member Name: Disabled_Cruiser
Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Canary Islands
Cabin Category: A4
See More About: Queen Elizabeth Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Queen Elizabeth Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Queen Elizabeth Deck Plans
Wonderful Ship - Wonderful Cruise
Queen Elizabeth had been launched only 2 months before my 1st cruise onboard this magnificent ship. As I said in my introduction, I am a single cruiser, who is disabled (full-time wheelchair user), and I was unsure of how I would manage on my own in a number of different aspects of the cruise... I needn't have worried, as the ship is brilliant for wheelchair (and scooter) users, and the staff bent over backwards to help me if I needed any help.

My stateroom was 4103, which is a fully wheelchair accessible stateroom, with all the amenities that a disabled cruiser could ask for. The room has plenty open floor space to get around the room. The closets have some that are at a height so that the disabled person can get their clothes from the hangers etc... the roll-in shower room, again, is big enough to turn a wheelchair in. The toilet seat is lower so that the wheelchair user doesn't need to struggle with different heights of ledges. The sink is at a suitable height for wheelchair users with a mirror at the same height.

With regards to the balcony itself, there is a tiny slope either side of the doorway for smooth access. I would say that this is about 1/2 inches high, but with a gentle slope. The balcony for this stateroom is in a curved 'L' shape with a table and 2 deck chairs. Again, there is plenty room to move around the balcony area.

Around the ship, the ship is very accessible to wheelchair users and mobility scooters alike. There are ramps into certain areas, but these are NOT at a steep incline... they are very shallow.

The staff onboard are extremely helpful... especially when a disabled person is travelling on their own and wants to get off the ship at the ports of call. The staff will assist you to get down the gangway and safely onto firm ground... and again when you want to get back onboard, they are more than willing to assist with getting you there.

All-in-all, I would give Cunard 5/5 for ship and staff, and I would not hesitate in recommending Cunard to any disabled people who would want to go cruising, as you will leave your voyage so much more refreshed than when you boarded... no matter how long or short your voyage is!!! GO CUNARD!!!

Publication Date: 08/21/12