Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Doylestown5518: Celebrity Summit 8/12 Very disappointed

Doylestown5518
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Celebrity Summit 8/12 Very disappointed

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

Just got back from Celebrity Summit Bayonne to Bermuda and don't know if we'll sail Celebrity again.

I will break the cruise down to it's components as I see them but first give you an idea of our background. We try to go on a very nice vacation at least once a year with our 2 sons 12 & 15. We get 2 rooms for their comfort and ours. Food is fairly important to me as I entertain people in my home often and love to cook. My wife and I both love wine and also like to work out (for me so I can eat more). We went on the cruise with 2 other families with similar aged children - one who've sailed RC Allure and loved it, the other never having sailed before. We come from Bucks County PA not far from Bayonne.

The Ship - the Ship is nice. On a scale of 1-100, I'd give it a 78. Pluses - not too big. Room and storage very good. Pool - so small and salt water which my sons hated. I went in the pool twice but only to cool off as it is not much bigger than a backyard pool. More The T-Pool seems larger but during the summer I want to be in the open air versus old person soup (I'm 50). Of course you had the lounge chair hogs - I wish Celebrity would be more aggressive about removing towels from unoccupied chairs.

The Entertainment - lame, lame, lame!!! The only thing that was good was the singers in the various bars. I also we to a couple of the small venues such as a talk about CSI, cake decorating, trivia ...lame,lame,lame. I tend to go to bed by 10 and am up at 6 or earlier but I stayed up one night for the comedian as I heard he was good - he just wasn't BAD.

Service - Outstanding in all areas!!!!

Food - I was so DISAPPOINTED!!!! Let me give you 3 examples:
Theses are all at Blue
1) Lump Crab Cocktail - was finely grated crab that was so strong I had to drink a glass of wine to get the taste out of my mouth
2) Gnocchi with artichoke sauce - they didn't remove the choke - inedible!!!
3) Lamb Osso Bucco - cooked beautifully and large portion - 0 taste.

We treated ourselves to both Qzine and Normandy - both very good. If I had to choose it would be qzine. If you go - MUST GET lobster escargot

The two food highlights were Cafe Bacio and Cafe on 5 - I actually embarrassed myself how much food I ate at Cafe on 5 - Outstanding!!! Also, until this cruise I've never be a huge cappuccino drinker - I'm in detox now.

I went to the Ocean view cafe twice - once on embarkation and once for breakfast - wow was that not good.

What else to cover:
Both my wife and I were truly disappointed in Bermuda - we've been to many of the Caribbean Islands and was expected Bermuda to be really special from what we heard - the best way to describe it was shabby. I don't know what I thought but I thought it was going to be more pristine but it wasn't much different than St. Marten to us.

I also had some trepidation about the North Jersey/New York crowd out of Bayonne - I'm from North Jersey but didn't feel like dealing with the aggressive behavior typical of that area - no real issues. In fact a funny story is I met a couple from Long Island on a para-sailing excursion who expressed the same concern (who knew New Yorkers find other New Yorkers overly aggressive sometimes) and had no problem.

The room was very nice but the shower smelled like cat urine which they could not get rid of after 2 tries.

The Persian gardens are not worth paying for my favorite spot was in the men's locker room sauna as it had a huge port hole to look out through and sweat like a pig. FYI guys - every night getting ready for dinner - my wife had our bathroom and I showered in the locker room which I found bigger. Regarding the alcohol package - I probably broke even but I like not thinking of whether I should buy something or not otherwise I'd be cheap with myself. Also before I forget, if you are traveling with young adults have your cabin steward lock the minibar or you'll get a hefty bill from that.

The bottom line is we didn't love this cruise except for not having to get on a plane - I was shocked by how low quality the food was - the couple from para-sailing said the same thing and the woman was here with a group that sailed the same summit cruise last year who said the food was night and day.

Hopefully this was helpful - if we cruise again we're going to try the Royal Caribbean Allure - mainly for the kids. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 9114

Small balcony, Great storage, quite, average decorations like a Holiday Inn - nothing lavish at all.