Voyager of the Seas 3

“Dubai to Singapore. (B+) Good but could do better!”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas

Marando
Member Since 2012
3 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

We travelled to Dubai on 13/05/12 and spent 2 nights in the Hyatt Regency (separate review on Trip Advisor).
Set sail from Dubai on 15/05/12, going to Goa, Cochin, Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Spent 3 nights in Singapore in the Marina Mandarin (again separate review on Trip Advisor).
Boarding - was a nightmare, seemed very disorganised and a few people passed out due to the heat. As we were travelling with my 2 year old son, staff noticed he was struggling in the heat and rushed us to the front of the queue (very considerate).
Ship - is lovely. All the common areas are well looked after but I have to say I was slightly surprised that the state rooms are a little dated. They do have everything needed and suit most needs, but I expected a little more. We had x2 D1 balcony cabins, my Mothers was next to ours (room 7364).
Food - no real complaints. Some of the food was average but the majority was delicious. Johnny Rockets is not worth the money, food was More very average but the experience of the staff dancing and singing is enjoyable even if you only do it once.
Drinks - were very expensive (around $10 for a cocktail), some drinks were weak and not as nice as back home. Wish we'd bought the wine package as we had a couple of bottles during the cruise but they weren't worth the money really. We obviously did not drink much as had our son with us.
We opted for the soda package for me and my partner, and the water package for us all (used this is mix with sugar free cordial I took in our suitcases for our son). This is definitely worth buying before the cruise as an add on.
Excursions - hit and miss really. Cochin and Kuala Lumpur weren't good but Penang was an amazing excursion and well worth the money. Many people we talked to had made their own arrangements off ship for a lot less money (something to bear in mind if you prefer independent travel).
Facilities - mostly great but have to complain about lack of things for a child my sons age. The children's deck area and pool were closed until the 2nd day before the cruise ended so we had to take him into the adults pool most of the time. The children's clubs did not have a club running for his age (which oddly they advertise they do)? We would have only used them for a couple of hours when it was really hot or if we wanted to try a speciality restaurant (children under 13 are not allowed in these) - but we could not as the club said they would only take over 3's? When I queried why, they couldn't give a straight answer but it obviously had something to do with the fact that there were only 35 children on board (my son being the youngest). This was really disappointing as my son would have loved to have spent more time with other children, playing out of the sun... I did complain but have heard nothing back from Royal Caribbean (no surprises, as everyone I spoke to who had travelled with them before said their Customer Services are rubbish).
Staff - almost all of them are truly fantastic and work so hard. Our Waiter Amnat (from Thailand) was amazing. He couldn't do enough for us and paid particular attention to our son. He'd even bring us snacks to take away if our son hadn't eaten much.

Would I cruise again with RC, yes I would but I would want assurances that there would be clubs and activities for our son. He didn't travel for free and it was his holiday too. They could have been more accommodating for his age group. Plus we lost his beloved blankie in the Cafe Promenade, it was never found :-( So if you happen to find a yellow plush blanket with a little elephant on the corner, during your travels, I'll email you my address for its safe return!!! Less

Voyager of the Seas Cruises to Asia

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

D17362
Room was ok and had everything needed. In my opinion it needs a little updating but is fine for the time spent onboard.

Port
Seemed disorganised but think that may be down to Royal Caribbean and not the Port staff. Far too hot although cold drinks were regularly brought around whilst queueing.
Read 105 Dubai Reviews

Night Safari
All excursions were amazing and well worth the money. Night Zoo was awesome, food was included also so an amazing deal and experience.

Raffles Hotel
Awesome and a must for any traveller to Singapore!

Published 08/21/12

Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review

Voyager of the Seas Cruises to Asia

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?