Carnival Triumph 2

Cruise review of Carnival Triumph

Guywhotris
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

This was my second cruise. We chose this cruise because the port is close to home. But I hated it from the time we got on board. The ship is old and dated. Something in the venting made a lot of people sick with allergy type symptoms by the time we got off the ship many people were coughing and congested including me.

As someone else said getting around on the ship is a pain and the elevators were horribly slow. There are also a LOT of people on the ship. We had to wait in lines for everything. The food was OK but not great. The premixed drinks are weak. Choose a regular bar drink (gin and tonic) for some punch. Their wine list is made up of a bunch of cheap wine, so if you enjoy wine bring your own. They do have a cigar bar at the back of the ship on the 5th deck, but they don't tell anyone it's OK to smoke cigars there. If I'd found it earlier, I might have frequented it more often.

The comedians were good. There were two, and they each gave family friendly shows More and adults only shows. They were very funny the first night, but not as much the 2nd and 3rd performances. But they were the best thing on the ship. There was a "multimillion dollar vegas style" show that sucked. There were beautiful costumes and sets, but the acting, dancing and singing was very cheesy. Many other passengers said the same thing. I wish I had that hour of my life back.

Progreso Mexico was horrible. They say it's what Cozumel was 20 years ago. I suggest you wait 20 years before you go. You catch a bus to get off the 5 mile long "pier", then you have to walk through shops to get off/on the boat where the vendor harassment is intense. My kids did take a pic with a baby lion, baby tiger and a monkey. That was cool. We did a beach excursion that was sold as "all inclusive". It wasn't. The weak drinks and bad food (Mexican buffet of chips and salsa, quesadillas and rice) were included but the servers are paid only on tips. Not a problem if I knew that in advance. Instead about half way through my relaxation, my server is asking me to tip him. A polite sign, announcement or something in the ship info would have been nice. I had a massage there that was just a rub down. The beach looked a lot like Galveston. The good thing was in Progresso the shops would negotiate with you.

Cozumel was a bit more upscale and what I expected from a cruise port. They had good shopping, but wouldn't negotiate. I thought the quality of the items was better to. We ate at a restaurant there and it cost just as much to eat as it would to eat Tex-Mex in Texas. The ship pushed this particular restaurant but I was disappointed in it. It must be owned by Carnival.

There are two bright spots. One is that my kids enjoyed it and had fun. They had not sailed any other cruise line, and they had unlimited ice cream and soda, so this was great. The other was we met a fantastic family at dinner who live nearby. We will keep in touch with them. Outside of that, I have no desire to ever sail with Carnival again. Less

Carnival Triumph Cruises to the Mexican Riviera

Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6A1326

Parasailing
Cozumel was what I expected from a Mexican cruise port. The people were friendly and not overly aggressive. I enjoyed parasailing. The water was different than I expected, but that's because I'd only been to the Carribean before.

I will never go to Progreso again. It's poor and dirty. I've traveled extensively in Mexico and have seen plenty of the poverty. Very disappointed here.
Read 362 Progreso Reviews

Published 08/21/12

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review

Carnival Triumph Cruises to the Mexican Riviera

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?