Carnival Elation Cruise Review by AUmom

Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: 6C
Cabin Number: U241
Shore Excursions 5+

Carnival Elation ---Elated? Not so much.
Of all of the carnival cruises I have been on (7), this is the most boring cruise ever.

I think there were probably 3 shows total for the whole cruise.

The timing of events was 1030-1045 on average. Too late for most and not that good. They've definitely declined. Our exciting entertainment on day 3 of our cruise was 9pm disco dancing in the theatre. Seriously.

The lido deck had virtually no music. In the mornings from the time most people start getting up there was no music through till about 11am when a reggae duo came on stage for an hour. This group was good and played a couple of times on our sea days. Other than that, no music. What's up with that?

We had the usual cheesy hairy chest contest, the mixology (boring), and an ice sculpture on deck. No music! No sail away party due to rain--and no attempt to improvise or do something else. NEVER saw the cruise director. Weird.

The asst cruise director was annoying. She said each time she came out "how are we doing?" or something---when the response was not what she wanted--she made comments about how "lively" we were. This got old. How could we be lively when there was little to do?

It was obvious that Carnival has cut funding--the food was tasteless. Never had bacon that had no flavor at all, but that was the case. The food was lacking across the board. Powdered eggs? Really? No captain's party with free drinks...now you get $1 off. Whoopee!

Our room steward was invisible---as in we never saw him---which I guess is fine, if you don't need anything. Our room was never really "clean". Never wiped our table off. Our toilet and bathroom stunk most of the trip, but had nothing to do with us. :-) He made no attempt to go the extra mile. Makes me appreciate "Stani" on the Carnival Glory a few years back.

The spa.

Bless their hearts. The absolute WORST and MOST EXPENSIVE mani/pedi I have ever had in my life. What do you expect when they staff their spa with a teenage girl who was very sweet but had virtually no training and experience. So bad I contemplated taking the polish off and redoing them myself. I won't make this mistake twice. Bye bye spa.

Overall, with the exception of guest services and the bar staff, most of the staff seemed either apathetic, angry, or just plain bad. They were mostly unfriendly, particularly in the dining room on the lido deck.

The Lido deck was mostly disgusting during the day. Beer bottles and pineapple floating in the pool (EVERY day). Umbrellas, smashed food on the deck, nasty tables. The dirtiest cruise I have ever taken.

I have decided that they must take staff who have had some discipline or performance issues from the larger ships and put them here. It was really that bad....from the asst cruise director on down. I'd comment on the cruise director but he was never seen.

I think I may try other cruise lines from now on or stick with the much bigger boats.

Now my excursion and fun WE made---was superb. The cruise was just not up to par with the usual fun.

Publication Date: 08/22/12