Carnival Glory Cruise Review by cab1

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: cab1
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory (August 16-20)
My boyfriend and I decided to take a short New England cruise this summer, as we wanted to try cruising for the first time and we could leave from NYC, which is where we live.

My experience on the Carnival Glory was wonderful from start to finish. I spent months researching the cruise before we left and had some concerns, as the reviews appear to be very mixed. I am happy to say that we had an absolutely wonderful time and all of my fears were put to rest on the very first day.

First, let me commend the staff for maintaining such a clean ship! We had a balcony stateroom and it was spotless. We always had fresh towels and linens waiting upon entering the room.

I was pleased with the size of our stateroom, as well. It was great to have a balcony and a bit of extra room to maneuver. The bed was very comfortable, as well. We had a "king," which is essentially two twin beds shoved together with a little padding in the middle to fill in the gap. I slept soundly each night without issue. Pillows were nice and fluffy, as well.

The ship itself was very colorful. Some may find it gaudy, but it worked for me, as I view these cruises as I would a Las Vegas trip. I did feel that the ship could have more signs and maps, though. You can only move from the front to the back of the ship on certain floors, so we were often confused and had to retrace our steps on occasion.

As far as the food, I was pleased with everything that I ate. Dinner in the Main Dining Room was varied and well-prepared, although some of the portions were small. We had one meal at the Emerald Steak House ($35 surcharge) and it was incredible. I had the most amazing lamb chops and a piece of cheesecake that was the size of a small house!

The only thing I could really complain about were the very long lines for food at the MDR each night. Wait times could be up to 45 minutes (we requested a table for two). However, I wait all the time at restaurants in NYC, so this is nothing new to me. You will receive a pager and can move about the ship or listen to some music while waiting.

We didn't really get involved with the trivia or contests, but we did see 2 shows: "Livin' in America" and "Just Rock." They were both very entertaining, particularly "Livin' in America." The singers had fabulous voices and the concepts were cute. I did feel that the music was dated and some of the sets were a little basic, but I understand that the ship is undergoing a 2.0 upgrade in November 2012, which will include updates to the shows.

This cruise only had one stop (Saint John, Canada). Although the city itself isn't teeming with excitement, we had a very enjoyable day just walking around and seeing the buildings and local markets. We also took the Hop On/Hop Off Big Pink Bus tour around town and had a narrated tour of the area. We stopped off at Rockwood Park, which features Lily Lake and the Lily Cafe. The lake was surrounded by lush green trees and the scenery was just beautiful. There is a pavilion there that features a restaurant (great food) and a daytrip business, where one can rent canoes, paddle boats, go rock climbing, etc.

All in all, we had a wonderful, relaxing vacation and already have plans to book the 5 day version of this cruise for next year.

Publication Date: 08/21/12