Carnival Legend Cruise Review by ausgezeichnet88: First Cruise- Mixed Reviews

First Cruise- Mixed Reviews

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Tampa

We traveled with a large group of family/friends on the Carnival Legend in June 2012. There were several experienced cruisers in our group who were experiencing the Legend for the first time, and much of what I am going to write here was influenced by their comparisons to other cruise ships or cruise lines. As first time cruisers, my husband, 11-year-old daughter, and I were very excited to board the ship. Our group waited until 1:30 to embark so it was quick and easy. We were then able to get in our rooms right away and our luggage arrived in a timely fashion.

Because so many of my friends have raved about cruise food, I was excited to get to our first meal. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for the cuisine on the Legend. For the most part the food was fine, but far from exceptional. We were rarely served a HOT meal. My mother and father-in-law disliked the food immensely, but most of us found the flavor of the dishes palatable. The experienced cruisers More complained about the setup of the breakfast and lunch dining room; they preferred more of the buffet style in which you could get all your food in one area and not have to search for what you want.

Our room was adequate. However, we were impressed with the housecleaning staff who always kept us supplied with towels and ice. I adored the balcony and morning room service. While my husband and daughter slept, I enjoyed my quiet time on the balcony in the morning. Personally, I wouldn't consider getting an inside room if we cruise again.

The ports of call were quite interesting - we enjoyed our two excursions that we booked through Carnival - the Cozumel Dolphin Swim and the Xunantunich Mayan ruin tour in Belize. Members of our group also enjoyed private tours for deep-sea fishing and zip-lining.The activities on the ship left a lot to be desired. Because we had late-seating dining, the timing for viewing shows seemed to be off. We managed to see one show before dining one night and an hour or so after dining The one-man bands around the ship were adequate, but the karaoke was not well-run and in a very inconvenient area. On our last day of the cruise we caught a bit of a tropical storm, and it rained all day. That was when we realized how void of activities the ship really was. All ship-led activities required $$ and were centered on further filling Carnival's coffers. At this point, however, I have to give a plug for Camp Carnival. My daughter loved the activities at Circle C - she made a lot of friends and was always busy.

Sadly, I find that as we have been telling our friends/family about our cruise, we have been recommending that they NOT cruise on the Carnival Legend. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>