Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by PBfavored1: Carnival Fantasy 2012

Carnival Fantasy 2012

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

My family and I took the drive from Maryland to South Carolina. We stayed the night with family living in Conway S.C and headed for Charleston the next morning. Embarkation was a breeze. Most of it was done while in the car. You drove through the checkpoints for ID and boarding passes. We parked the car in a terminal and got on a shuttle to ride less than a mile to the ship. It was great. The lines were fast moving. In less than an hour we were on the Lido deck eating.
Lunch was very good. I was surprised to see that the ship was one of the smallest I had been on. I saw that it only had one pool, but a few hot tubs. It even had a very nice waterpark and a serenity deck where only 21 and over are allowed. Even thought it was small, it had all the comforts of a larger ship. After eating, our rooms were ready. My daughter had the last room on the aft side but no view of the wake. The window was on the side of the ship instead of the back. Mine was a few doors down. Our rooms didn't More have a couch but that was the only thing we missed. They were quite nice with bathrooms stocked with shampoo, toothpaste packets and a clothes line for wet clothing. Towels were adequately supplied. Our beds were comfortable and nicely supplied. Our luggage starting arriving in about an hour.
Dinner was excellent. The wait staff called us by name and remembered what we liked and didn't like after a few days. That is always a nice touch. We dined with two other families at a table for twelve. It was nice to meet new people. For breakfast we sat at our a table for four as seating is by party first come first serve. At no time was there a wait. We could also opt to eat up on the Lido deck.
All in all the food on the ship was pretty good. Pizza nd sandwiches were always available. I think one of the best stations was the Mongolian Wok. You pick out your own vegetables and meat and they cook it right there so that it is piping hot and good. The line was always a little long but it was worth the wait. Soft serve ice cream is always available as well. It is so good and the kids just eat themselves silly. I don't think anyone should ever leave a cruise and complain about the food. If you don't like something, order something else or just get something else from the lido deck. Food is everywhere and the wait staff are so eager to please.
Entertainment at night was a little different from the larger ship. There wasn't as many shows . We still enjoyed our selves at the various clubs and piano bars. A lot of entertainment took place at the piano bar. Some of the small clubs with entertainment such as comedy and karaoke were too crowded. Small ships have small clubs I guess. Most nights unless you went very early, you could not get in, but there were plenty of other places to go without scheduled entertainment, that you could get in.
There was also shopping on board the ship. The ships weren't too expensive and were well stocked. There was a full sushi bar at no cost. The was a place like a Starbucks with Starbucks prices. The casino seemed to be always jumping but I did not go there except to pass through.
I really enjoyed my experience on the smaller ship. It was nice not to be lost all the time! It took no time in figuring out the layout and went from place to place with ease. The pool area was always a little crowded but everyone seemed to have a ball. The Serenity deck was an option one day. It was so quiet and located on the aft where you could just sit and watch the beautiful wake of the ship. The hot tub was empty. You even have a bartender up there and a wait staff to take care of your every need. Carnival Fantasy....I'll be back.
De-embarkation was so easy it was crazy. We put our bags out at night. The next day we took our small bag with the clothes we had on the night before and headed for breakfast. We went to the Lido Deck, took our time and had a nice breakfast. At about nine, we headed to the area where numbers for luggage were being called. The numbers come from your luggage tags. We waited less than half an hour and were on our way. How much easier could it have been! Excellent. Thank you Carnival for finally having embarkation and debarkation so easy and comfortable.getting back to our car was the same process. We picked up our luggage, went through a quick customs process and headed for the van to take us back to the car. Your luggage is loaded in the van for you and you are on your way to your car and home. No more wait staff, no more never ending food, no more animals and chocolate on your bed. See you next time Carnival! Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Main

My cabin was a oceanview. I enjoyed having a responsive cabin guy that always seemed to know when we were gone and kept the room clean and tidy. I hung some wet clothing on the shower rail but when I came back he had hung them up on a pull out clothes line that I did not see beforehand. I never had to ask for anything. The rooms were smaller than I had expected. I missed having a couch to sit on, but the Fantasy is one of the older, smaller ships. The room was more than adequate for my roommate and I. Drawer space for clothing was a little lacking, but closet space more than made up for it. All in all, for the short amount of time spent in my room, I enjoyed it.

When we arrived at Freeport, I went up on deck to check out the surroundings. I was very surprised to see the location of the port. From one side of the ship, all you could see was some sort of industrial shipyard equipment or rock quarry. I was less than impressed. I went to the other side of the ship and saw a little better scenery. There were a few colorful shops and a place to eat and drink. Although the port view from that side was pretty and colorful, I was still disappointed. There was nothing of interest within walking distance. My family and I took a taxi shared with some other people for $10.00 round-trip. The ride was a little long but enjoyable. The driver was very friendly and gave a little tour. He let us off at the straw market. You had a short walk to get to the beach or you could shop. We opted to go to the beach and then come back to shop. Our day was great. The beach was beautiful and clean. Islanders were friendly but not pushing you to buy excursions. We enjoyed a few hours there and headed back to the market where we shopped before heading back to the market and the ship.Our day was great because a port is what you make it. I did notice that alot of people just stayed on-board the ship and enjoyed the pool because the weather was great. If you do not like the beach and have seen one too many straw markets, then you may as well stay on the ship. Even though I enjoyed my day, I would not like to visit that port again.
Read 781 Freeport Reviews

I have been to Nassau several times now, but can never get to see everything. That is the kind of place you really need to stay for a few days. There is so much to do and see. We got a taxi and headed for Atlantis. We walked around inside the hotel and enjoyed it's beauty. We ended up at the beach for a day of fun and sun. I believe it was Cable beach.My family experienced a ride on the banana boat and fully enjoyed themselves. There is all kinds of water sports that you can purchase right there on the beach for a very small amount of money. Chairs and umbrellas were also available. The only complaint I had was that when we got hungry, I volunteered to go for food and found myself on a long walk. Maybe an excursion with a paid lunch included may have been better. I don't have small kids so it worked out okay. If you do, purchase snacks before going on the beach, or get the excursion with food included. All in all, I love Nassau.
Read 2663 Nassau Reviews