Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bvhtontheruby

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bvhtontheruby
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: bvhtontheruby
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: CC
Public Rooms 5+

At the last minute we booked this cruise with another family who we have cruised with before. The four adults got 2 aqua cabins side by side which was great because the balconies connected (1109/1111). The 3 "kids" had a concierge class cabin on 9th deck. Our aqua class rooms were FAR nicer than concierge class but this is only because ours were brand new after the recent dry dock Summit went through --- we did experience problems with the a/c but I think this was because our neighbour needed the heat on in her room -- yes it was 110 degrees outside but she doesn't like a/c --- who knows but it was very uncomfortable some nights getting ready for dinner in a too-warm cabin. I doubt this a/c problem would have occurred on a brand new ship.

Qsine was by far my favourite restaurant -- but don't go if you are a meat and potatoes only eater because you won't like it. We had the anytime dining option which I would not recommend - our experience was that you got the slimmest pickings of tables and they were in the busiest and least served part of the main dining room. We did eat at Blu most mornings for breakfast and enjoyed it. Dinner not so much. I thought the buffet had better food than the main dining room and we ate there 2 or 3 times.

Compared with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity is noticeably LACKING in entertainment options. Cruise director Lisa was very good though and the biggest difference between this cruise and other lines we have sailed was the level of cruise staff/officer interaction - even the captain was at most events even participating in the water volleyball game - not a criteria I would use to select a cruise line in the future but it was nice to see.

Bermuda was fantastic - better beaches than Aruba so that's saying a lot.

We did wish the Summit had docked in Hamilton as opposed to King's Wharf because Hamilton is right downtown and lively. The dockyard where we were was dead with nothing to do in the evenings so we ended up on the ship every night.

Overall this cruise was a great introduction to Celebrity cruises and we would go again just because the food and amenities are one notch about Royal Caribbean but if it were my first cruise I would have thought the Summit a little boring.

Publication Date: 08/20/12