Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by jhaver1

3-6 5.0
        7-9 5.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Good times
I decided to take my son on a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas (he's 6) and the rest of my family ended up joining us, which was 9 in all. The check in was very quick even though I did not have my cruise edocs, I had intended to print them out that morning but they were not available on the website anymore. It turns out as long as you have your reservation number and official travel docs then you're ok.

We boarded the boat at around 1pm and headed straight to the Crossings for lunch. Food was great, service left much to be desired. After lunch we went to our rooms to unpack and I have to say, since this was an upgrade from a previous cruise I loved my room. I had a porthole with two twin beds. The general consensus from the rest of my travel party though was that the rooms are much smaller than Carnival and Princess.

The pools are kind of small and they are saltwater just in case that's a deal breaker for you. I would highly recommend the splash pool if you have kiddos, it's the most scenic place on the ship and much quieter than the lido deck, and it's not saltwater.

We had breakfast all but one day on deck 11 buffet, great choices, not crowded if you you're an early riser but at about 8 it starts hopping. They also have room service.

Dinner at The Crossings first night, great service this time, wonderful food, salmon tartar, lobster, and raspberry truffle chocolate cake. Also birthday cake for me :)

The next day we docked in Freeport and took the Beaches and Caves excursion. The island itself is honestly not much to look at, very industrial from the vantage point that we had. We arrived after about 45 minutes at Lucayan Natl Park where we hiked a short distance to the caves. For those that are squeamish, you should probably skip this part and go across to the Beach because there are bats and Lots of spiders.

After this we walk across the road to the beach which is about a 350 yard hike. But it so well worth the walk, it's really the most beautiful beach I've ever seen.

Also, there is someone on site that sells water and soda so bring cash or your own drinks, especially in the summer because it will be HOT, and there are only 2 side by side bathrooms, no flush, just sawdust (don't ask).

The bus stopped at a restaurant on the way back, again, good food, slow service. My son didn't get his hamburger until it was 15 minutes away from leaving, to be fair I wasn't charged for it.

So we got on the bus and headed back to the port and did a little shopping. If you're going shopping I would do it in Freeport, they aren't as aggressive as in Nassau.

Got on the boat and rested up until dinner, got wings in te Longboard Bar for a late dinner. Great wings, bad service. Our waiter didn't crack a smile the whole time and didn't seem like he wanted to refill any drinks.

Next day we did the glass bottom boat excursion, beautiful, great for those with smaller kids, we saw a shark off the side of the boat and several barracuda but they disappeared by the time we had gotten downstairs, still fun, I would definitely recommend this. Also went by a shipwreck.

Dinner that night at The Crossings, again, great food, slow service, but somewhat better this time. For some reason they only gave 2/3 of us coffee cups at the end of the meal.

Third day we had breakfast in the Crossings, better service, scrambled egss weren't great but the Scotch Kippers were excellent and staff was attentive.

Stirrup Cay was beautiful but crowded, no problem catching one of the boats over. Beach Olympics was fun, buffet was good, side note, bring sunscreen or you'll regret it. I've never had sunburn on my lip before but I assure you it is not fun.

Last Dinner was at Le Bistro, wonderful food, slow service but the waitress seemed like she was really trying. If you have a larger party I would recommend another restaurant because they couldn't accomdate us at one table, we had to have side by side booths.

Disembarkation was a breeze, no problems at all and even customs was friendly. All in all a great trip, I would recommend it to anyone.

Publication Date: 08/20/12