Navigator of the Seas 0

“Royal Caribbean Eastern Med Cruise”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas

dlg0724
Member Since 2010
1 Forum Post

Overall Member Rating

We took this cruise as a graduation trip for my daughter before she heads off to college. We had done the Western Mediterranean cuise two years ago. We started our first night in Rome, arriving a day early. Booked a hotel through RCL because I couldn't figure out where to stay -- to many choices. The hop on, hop off bus was not a good experience. Perhaps we were too tired or too hot. RCL port transfer got us to the ship a little slower and later than I would have prefered but we did miss the crowds. Pick up was 1 pm from the hotel but we had to make an additional hotel pick up.

Our first port was Messina. We took the ship transfer to Touramina. We had the option to take a cab for $120 with the driver to wait 2 hours. The ship tour was 3 hours. What we were not told was that a lot of stores close from 1 to 4. We were in Touramina from 12 to 4. Most stores were very expensive. We did not have time to visit the Greek theater because my kids wanted to shop first. Messina was our More least favorite port.

In Athens we had a private tour through Nikos Loukas of privategreecetours. Manos was very friendly and knowlegable. He took us to the major ruins and gave us background history. We also saw some modern day sites. He took us to a handmade sandle shop. Definitely worth the money.

Our next stop was Kusadasi and Ephesus. Definitely everyones favorite port. Booked a private tour through Ekol travel. Our guide was Alex. He took us through Ephesus, Sirince village, and a rug and leather factory. I would recommend a private tour in this port. Prices were good.Euros, US dollars or Turkish liras accepted every where.

Our last port was Chania, Crete, Greece. Had no idea what to expect. Take the city bus for 1.50 Euro each way to the city center. The beach is a 15 minute walk. Behind the old market is a wonderful shopping bazar. Not hassled but found leather and jewerly to buy. Better than I expected. Give yourself enough time to get back. Several people arrived back at the port late. Less

Navigator of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Booked a private tour through privategreecetours. Definitely worth the money. Our driver took us to all the major ancient sites plus showed us modern Athens. Ate at a neighborhood restaurant. This was great because the food was authentic without being expensive. My daughter got a pair of custom made sandals.

Booked a privage tour through Ekol's. This was well worth it. In Turkey we had a driver and a guide. We took a walk through the ruins at Ephesus. This was better than Pompey or the Accropolis. We went to a rug factory and saw the whole process from silk worm to weaving. The leather factory had beautiful stuff but above my price comfort even with 50 % off. I suspect the jackets were a bargain but I don't know enough about leather. Visited Sirince village. This was a nice stop. Bought a bunch of jewerly from the man who designed the jewerly for the move Troy. Sample some local wines. Olive oil soap. I enjoyed the port of Kusadasi. While the shop owners were a little pushy (come visit my shop, good prices, hi pretty lady). There was plenty to see. Only port on this cruise that actually had something to see right off the ship.
Read 559 Kusadasi Reviews

Published 08/18/12

Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review

Navigator of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?