Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by gracie16: Great cruise, but a few issues to work out

gracie16
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great cruise, but a few issues to work out

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Arrival: Getting to the port in Barcelona was very easy via taxi. We arrived at 11:30 and the lines were already long. The whole process from arrival to getting on the ship probably took about an hour.

Room: We were on Deck 1, Midship Oceanview. Our room was great as far as noise is concerned. On other cruises, it was always so loud when we arrived in a port, but this room was very quiet. The only issue with the room was how far it was to the forward elevators. Our dining room and a lot of the other activities we wanted to do were located on the forward section of the ship. I felt like I was constantly walking down that long hallway of rooms. Our cabin steward was very nice and we had no other issues with the room.

Dining: Guy's Burgers are seriously the best burgers I've ever had. I don't know what makes them so good, but they are. Blue Iguana Cantina was also great. We usually did Lido for breakfast (around 8 AM or so) and while crowded, we never had to More wait in a long line or wait for a table. The same goes for lunch (usually around 12:30). The only times we ever really had to wait was to get a drink. The drink stations were poorly designed in that the juice/lemonade/tea dispenser is right next to the ice/water dispenser, so only one person at a time can really use that space). We had Your Time Dining in Sapphire and in general, it was excellent. Service was always friendly. We were in a different section each night and most were pretty quick with service, but we did have a rather long wait in a few sections.

Outdoor Areas: I enjoy getting sun and it was worth it to me to get up early to get a chair. I was on the Serenity Deck (21+ area) by 7AM on the Sea Days and never had a problem getting seats. Also, the area didn't begin to fill up until close to 8 or 8:30. I don't know about the Lido area because I wasn't looking for a chair there. I did notice the pools were always VERY crowded. That was a very poor design choice to have two tiny pools for over 4,000 people. The Serenity Deck has two hot tubs, but when it's so hot outside, it would be nice to convert one of those pools to just a small dip pool so that people can hop in for a minute to cool off and then get out.

Indoor Areas: Generally, the indoor areas were not too crowded. Our favorite place to go was the Red Frog Pub to hear the live music (Timmy Pierce was great).

Activities: We went to two of the shows (Divas and Motor City). They were okay, but you aren't missing much if you skip them. I would have rather listened to John Heald, the cruise director, make jokes than watch the show. Speaking of jokes, the comics on our cruise were awful. We actually left in the middle of one of the performances (we went to one American and one British performance--both bad). The Seaside Theatre is nice and they even give you blankets as it gets a little breezy out there. Again, Red Frog Pub was our favorite. Live music was great and so were the bar waiters (Carlton and Abbas were our favorite).

Ports: Barcelona, Marseille, Livorno (Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome), Naples, Dubrovnik, Venice, Messina. We enjoyed most of the ports, but Dubrovnik was our favorite. If you have the time, you should definitely try to plan or organize your own shore excursions. Carnival's are ridiculously overpriced. We took some of the same trips as the Carnival groups for one-quarter of the price.

Debarkation: It would be nice if the Breeze would do a "silent debarkation" like some of the other Carnival ships do. Whether you are leaving at 5:30 AM or 9:30 AM, you will be awake by 5:30 AM and unable to sleep because announcements are made every 15 or so minutes for the next group to get off the ship. Very irritating when you're facing a long day of travel. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze

1366. Quiet, nice having two bathrooms, plenty of closet space. Only negative was how far it was away from the forward elevators/stairs which we found ourselves needing to use the most.