Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by msa20

Carnival Destiny
Member Name: msa20
Cruise Date: August 2012
Cabin Category: 8A
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated

My 24th cruise - sadly, the worst
Sure, you get what you pay for, but even a frugal cruiser should expect a clean ship and air conditioning.

My group (3 inside cabins, one balcony) endured this cruise in sauna-like cabins. My balcony cabin was barely tolerable, but the others sweltered. No air through the vents of any temperature, though they did note a few puffs of air during the sleepless nights. They reported to the cabin steward (he didn't notice while cleaning?) and when no improvement came they began making phone calls to Guest Services. The answers were a) it was not reported, b) they are working on it. Which is it? Night two, night three, no air. Night four brought some improvement, but night five all cabins steamed again. We observed a nearby cabin propping the door open all night...and another cabin was provided with a fan, which we were denied.

Yes, it was that bad.

Destiny needs a scrubbing. Deck surfaces and table tops are smeared and sticky. Apparently the practice of stacking pool chairs and cleaning decks at night doesn't happen here. A desultory mopping around the chairs (with guests in them) doesn't remove dried ketchup and ice cream. Mirror surfaces are hazy, and there was no chance of bumping into glass doors because of not seeing them! And I personally picked up three bundles of wrapped dirty silverware.

When the scrubbing is done, perhaps the lack of maintenance will be evident to the guy in charge. I get wear and tear on a ship, but after 24 cruises I can tell what's to be expected from what's falling apart. The steps leading to the rear hot tubs are cracked open, oozing rust. The rear pool bar is tiled, with swollen and crumbling grout. Rust anywhere you look. Cracked and broken (empty) hand sanitizers. Loose floor tiles in the atrium, chunks out of the teak decking, Entering the casino, only one path allowed entry to the games. Maintenance barriers blocked off any other access thru the entire cruise.

I did not visit the spa, or many of the lounges, what horrors might be there?

Noticeably missing from the ship are clocks on pool decks, ice buckets in cabins, no minibar in my balcony cabin. Carnival lost some income there! My TV did not receive channels 15 - 22; the ship info channel is 17, so I was without. And no more ship directory in the cabin, they don't do that anymore.

More? The towel exchange girl is surly, and a maintenace guy would not let me move a deck chair into shade because I was blocking access to a closed bar on port day with the ship empty. Food lines are amazing. One cook making omelettes one at a time.....blocking the way for everyone. 9am, no tea bags to be found anywhere in the buffet area. Three ice machines down at the same time, The beverage dispensers must have been stocked by gremlins playing jokes on us hot and thirsty beggars. Dining room and food so-so, obviously too much work for too few people. Lines at Guest Services stretched nearly to Cuba any time of day, Language barrier was bad enough throughout the ship but the Info Desk should not have that issue. Though I was helped adequately, I had to repeatedly beg the girl to speak louder if I was to hear her in all the noise at the desk.

I joined the cruise at its first port because of medical emergency, with 14 other people. A mandatory safety briefing was set up, which I attended with FOUR other people. No names were taken as to who did or did not attend.

Im not a total crank, here's some good stuff.

My late arrival was handled very well. All paperwork was ready, I was met by a pleasant and well-spoken officer who led me through the chaos of folks disembarking in Ocho Rios.

The bar staff is cheerful and attentive, the deck chairs are miles better than I've seen on Carnival before, the cruise director was fun and not a nuisance.

My cabin was quite clean and well serviced. Lots of storage. All our cabins had robes, and gotta love the size of those showers. But who thought the bathroom door should open inward? You have to squeeze between sink and toilet to close/open the door.

I am writing this review after a good nites sleep at home, or it would have been truly a rant. Every person on that ship deserved better. I am the travel agent who booked this cruise for my group and I'm mortified that my family and friends had this experience.

P.S. Interesting.....Carnival does not ask guests to fill out comment cards.

Publication Date: 08/18/12