Carnival Glory Cruise Review by susie2183: Celebrating with Family

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Celebrating with Family

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We were a party of 13 with 5 children from ages 9-14 celebrating a Golden Anniversary. Four of us had cruised previously and the remainder of the group was very excited about this cruise. Embarkation went very smoothly as did the muster drill. We had dinners in the Platinum Dining Room (late seating) with wonderful waiters at both tables. "Charlie Brown" and Ariel, were excellent, knowing everyone's names after the first night. (And we swapped tables in order to get to sit with everyone during the cruise.
My husband and I have been on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and three Princess cruises. A couple of things that we encountered for the first time on Glory included the signs for the bars, theaters, casino, dining rooms, etc. They were made up of small light bulbs that changed colors and were very difficult to read. Also, there were so many loud bars! Typically we enjoy sitting in a quiet bar before or after dinner, but there was no such place on Glory. We were More disappointed in the entertainment that was offered. We did like the comedian and were told that there were to be 8 shows during the week, but then after the 2nd night, there was nothing else until the last night. The singers and dancers did a good job, but I thought that we'd see more of them. In my experience, they are usually 2 shows so that if you have early or late seating for dinner, you can see the shows.
I will also say that Pete, the cruise director, was the least visible cruise director I have ever encountered. On the other cruises, the CD has a morning tv show that starts at 6 am and then is repeated all morning. However, Pete's show started at 9 am when most are out of their cabins.
There are always plenty of "opportunities" to have photos taken on a cruise, but on Glory, it was ramped up many times. And the cameras, cords and people waiting made it difficult to maneuver around, especially if one has mobility issues.
We enjoy having room service for coffee on the balcony during cruises. The first day we waited a half hour from the time that we had requested and they found our ticket and delivered it sometime later.
Typically we prefer having breakfast in the dining room as we aren't fans of a buffet. The service and food was fine...
Our cabin steward, Wayland (?) was very pleasant and left towel shaped animals each night. I had asked for an egg crate for the mattress on the first day and he didn't seem to understand my request, so I didn't ask again. The mattress in our cabin was very FIRM. There was plenty of storage space for our 3 suitcases under the bed.
On the 3rd day, one of the children was hit by the virus.....evidently there were many others that morning as we heard that the infirmary was packed. Later in the day another of the children was "hit" while in Halifax.....and then 7 more in our party joined the ranks. My husband is still not feeling well after being home for 4 days. They did announce that we should wash our hands and that the virus was "under control".....however, the 4th night of the cruise, the dining room was half full.....I don't know how many showed up for the last night, which was a formal night, but none of our group was there. In fact, we were at the buffet having fruit and a very light snack. Later that night we heard several announcements for Code Brightstar, which means medical emergency. As we left on Saturday, there were masks being worn everywhere by staff. I understand that they wouldn't allow the new passengers to board for the next cruise until later in the day, after a through cleaning was done.
While I know that even on the finest of cruiselines, these things happen, but I am not sure that there wasn't some more intense cleaning that could have been done. I am glad that we had a balcony and had fresh air to breathe, which makes me feel a lot better. Will we cruise again? YES, but there is a lot of competition for our cruise dollars, so I think that we will be looking for another line. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Empress 7358

Cabin and bathroom had plenty of storage space. We did hear carts up and down the hallway as we were near "Crew Only" doors. We were fairly close to the elevators.