Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by vhtb: Tweens and family fun

Tweens and family fun

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and two girls, 10 and 12 returned from the Mexican Riviera. First overall- I was hesitant since I had only been on Royal Caribbean and wasn't sure I would like the Fun Ship with all of the booze drinking, BUT, that was so far from our experience. All of the staff was fabulous, helpful and excellent!

The food in the buffet was great, lots to choose from, we went overboard and tried to get all aspects of the buffet and realized we had already eaten almost everything, but then we went into the dining option which was great. The dining room for dinner was delicious every evening, the wait staff was outstanding. I am a chocoholic and when I read about the chocolate melting cake and thought ohh, I got to try it and am so glad I did. They had good desserts to choose from, but that melting cake was delicious, decadent and unforgettable and had it every night!!!

The entertainment was good, we were happy to find out that there was a comedy club and it had two family More shows a night, we loved it, all of us had a great time.

Camp Carnival was full of great engaging activities, the Circle C was not as engaging. They did a few activities with the older group of 15-17 year olds, so that was intimidating for my shy girl. It was also somewhat unsupervised, the director was physically there, but when I would ask questions, her response was, I don't walk them from one activity to the next, I am here and they just show up, they come and go as they please. This program really needed group activities and getting to know each other activities. My girl only went to two activities and couldn't wait to get out of them. There were a lot of other family friendly activites so we had other things to do. Overall, my girls loved the cruise and want to go again! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Oceanview Riviera 1286

Our cabin 1286 was great because it was not far from the elevators, and we didnt hear a lot of voices or traffic. Our level, deck one was bad because we always had to wait for an elevator, so we used the stairs a lot.

First- you need to realize the ship and Mexico are one hour different, we scheduled a private snorkel tour and almost missed it! We booked private because the day and time we wanted was sold out at Carnival. Carnival has very competitive prices with the private tours, so that is a plus. We did not go to the two spots for snorkeling due to rough weather conditions, but we found a crowded but good spot, so High Tide provided a great tour. The port is small so we were able to see all of the shops in a short time. We ate on the ship so not sure about the food, but lots of bars and small souvenir shops. Two days was plenty, it seems there are very small beaches in walking distance, so you need a water taxi or a tour to get to snorkel spots. Locals who were not trying to sell you a taxi ride were nice. No significant cultural sites or ruins just resorts, but there were a lot of excursions to choose from.

Las Caletas Beach Hideaway

(5)
Great excursion. We had mid-morning pick up 10:15am, but we did not know that our lunch would be our first activity, so I should have had a light breakfast because the food was delicious, and music and the view made it fabulous. Kid's camp was great, but my 12 year old couldn't attend, but we were in the warm water the whole time, kayaking, snorkeling and S.U.P.ing. Boat ride was entertaining, lots of booze, excellent time. The only complaint is we wish there was enough time to do this 6.5 hour tour, AND visit the port to shop.