Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by cloverfields: East Med Cruise on Celebration

cloverfields
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated
Service Not Rated

East Med Cruise on Celebration

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Just got back yesterday off this ship after doing the Aegean Adventure. From getting off the plane at Dalaman airport it took just over an hour to reach Marmaris Port and the Celebration. Soon on board and suitacases only took an hour to reach our cabin (just enough time to get some food in the lido restaurant).

The cabin was kept immaculate by our maid Etta and there was plenty of room for all clothes. Bathroom was adequate, perhaps the shower tiling could do with a bit of upgrading but did not deter from the quality of the cabin. Hair drier good, lighting and television. Evening meals in the Meridian restaurant were excellent with plenty of choices, the food was hot and set out beautifully - waiters were very helpful and attentive. Didn't eat in Mistrals but was told by someone who had that it was worth the extra cost for a bit of extra spoiling. The shows in the Broadway Show Lounge were excellent, the team work so hard and they deserve all the applause they get. More The comedian Maxwell Plumb had us all laughing, some old jokes but interspersed with new ones which kept us entertained. Well done to Ray the compere. Went up to Horizons one night and there was a duet who had a good repertoire of songs - something for everyone.

Didn't use the pools as they were very crowded and the area around them but of course to be expected with children playing there. Mostly I was able to get a sun lounger along the promenade deck but have to admit some people are selfish and leave their towels there far longer than the permitted 45 mins. This happens on all holidays I think. Only did two excursions both in Istanbul, great city but was a little too hot to fully appreciate. Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia and the Cistern. Also did the two continent cruise - loved this one and it was cooler.

Izmir was also very hot and I think I would have seen more if it had been cooler, perhaps visited Ephesus but not in 100 degrees.

Mykonos and Rhodes are both easy to walk around and great to spend a day wandering around and sampling some Greek dishes.

A really good holiday, a team on board that give so much of themselves to ensure you enjoy your holiday. What more could you ask for? Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Blue Mosque

(5)
Had to queue to get in for about 15 mins in the heat which somewhat spoils the treat when you feel faint. However once inside you see just how beautiful it all is and how well preserved, the blue tiles are beautiful. You have to take your shoes off and carry them around in a bag. I had taken a shawl for my bare shoulders otherwise they give you something to cover up. Not sure I would go back again but glad I have been.

Bosphorus Cruise

(5)
This was excellent - again a very knowledgeable guide. The houses and palaces on the shores are beautiful. The views of the mosques from here is also good. Would certainly recommend this one, although I think you could do this one independently.

Hagia Sofia

(4)
Enjoyed walking around here and the guide made it very interesting - able to hear well on the headsets. I would have enjoyed this more had I not been so hot, having said that well worth a visit. If you go the 1st landing I would imagine some great photographs. If you were prepared to walk from the ship it would only take about 40 mins to reach on foot. Other passengers took the tram which was very cheap.

Underground Cistern

(5)
Part of another trip. This place is fascinating and actually fantastic when you are so hot!!! You go down about 50 steps and the columns and the water (complete with cod) are all lit up and quite moving. Well worth a visit

Just had a walk around Izmir and must admit I really didn't see too much as it was so hot. The bazaar is how you would expect and you can easily get lost. Lots to look at - the usual fake goods but some of them are so good you would have to be clever to know the difference. Spices are abundant and pungent and also worth checking out.
Read 153 Izmir Reviews

Lovely Greek Island - wish I had done an excursion here and after walking along the waterfront and around the narrow alleys where the shops are there was little else to do.Would have worn my swimming costume and taken a towel if I had realized I could have had a dip. By the way tried The Greek dish Baklava here - a must as it is a real treat.
Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

Another hot day here and wanted to do more. Walked a little around the old walled town where we virtually walked straight off the ship into the town - about 5 mins walk. If you want to buy last minute souvenir's then get away from the main street and to the smaller shops in the streets leading off. Ample cafes and restaurants and be careful when getting a beer as they seemed to be serving them in glass boots. One I saw must have been a giant - not sure how drunk you would be if you managed to down it all. Another day when the temperature was in the late 90's and therefore is very limiting for wanting to explore. Nevertheless a pleasant stop for a meal and lots of gelato!
Read 185 Rhodes Reviews