Carnival Glory Cruise Review by ly26: Carnival Glory 8/6/12 - 8/11/12

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Carnival Glory 8/6/12 - 8/11/12

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was our 4th cruise on Carnival. We wanted to venture to a new destination other than the Bahamas, so we chose Canada.

We live in North Carolina and prefer to drive to the ports, and found New York was similar driving distance for us as to Miami.

We stayed in Lyndhurst NJ prior to the trip for a couple of days and explored New York City as part of our trip.

The port in New York was fine. We arrived around noon and parked at the port. We moved through the usual lines without much trouble. I think from parking to getting onboard took about an hour and a half. Since we had explored NYC the day before, I felt comfortable with driving and finding the port. Of course there are tolls getting into the city. We went through the Lincoln tunnel at $12 each time into the city.

We had connecting cabins, 1305/1309, with my husband and I in one and our 2 kids (14 and 11) in the other. As with all our cruises, the cabins were in great shape, clean, the More room steward kept us in fresh towels and we had our wonderful towel animals with the turn down each night. One night we even had a monkey hanging from the lights, the kids loved that!

We had the early seating in the Platinum dining room at a booth for 4. We found the service a little lacking so after 2 nights, my husband mentioned it to the maitre 'd and it improved dramatically - no issues after that. We ate breakfast in the dining room every day - wonderful! We went to the buffet twice for lunch. It was fine. The Chocolate buffet for dessert on the last sea day was really good!

We went to one show. It was fine, but we aren't big on the shows anyway.

My daughter enjoyed camp carnival. She loves to pick and choose the things she wants to do.

This cruise was more about relaxing for us that doing shore excursions. We went into both ports (Saint John and Halifax), but just enjoyed walking around and shopping. Both cities are beautiful and we look forward to future trips back.

Debarkation was a long wait as usual. We don't do self assist, and since we drove, we had a HIGH number - 32. It went from 1 - 35. They started self assist around 7AM and our number group 30 - 35 was called around 10:30. Not too bad really since they had to get 3500 people off the ship. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Oceanview Riviera 1305

Nice location. Central to both the Amber Palace and the Platinum Dining room. There was some noise from below occasionally, but not excessive.

We didn't do much in Halifax either. My son and I walked a good way down the boardwalk. There was a festival in town, so we got to see some of the performers. There is a Del Sol store right as you get off the ship. For my daughter, it isn't a cruise if she can't by something from Del Sol :-)
Read 342 Halifax Reviews

We decided to not do shore excursions this time around. We had the best time wandering around the city. We ate at Grennan's and had a fantastic lunch! There is an indoor farmer's market that had all sorts of fun finds.