Carnival Victory Cruise Review by JasonV1: Good time, but could use some improvements

JasonV1
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Good time, but could use some improvements

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my 6th Carnival cruise. Previous cruises were all out of Canaveral/Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

With regard to the Carnival cutbacks many have spoke about I noticed the following on this boat:

No crew members getting people to use sanitizer at meal times/boarding. I am not a germaphobe, but it seems likes that precaution works. I noticed more people with minor illnesses (my family included) on this boat than I have seen in awhile.

No lunch service in the dining room (not sure if this is Victory only).

Very difficult to get a drink during dinner unless you sat in the middle of the dining room ("raised" area with the bigger tables) of the dining room lower level.

Shorts (just not cutoffs, gym, or swim trunks) are now approved in the dining room all nights except "cruise formal" nights. People still wore caps and shorts on formal nights of course. This is nothing new although I was surprised that the daily now says only that specific types of More shorts are now allowed on cruise casual nights.

Dinner buffet options are weaker than I remember in the past. Sandwich shop is open but the wok is closed.

Almost zero to do during the day unless you like trivia. Nothing new but a few options would be nice.

Debarkation breakfast seems to close up rather early.

No bar snacks (minor, but they are missed if you just want to sit there and drink a few beers).

Shows were nothing special.

Bright spots:

Kristina the evening bartender at the wine/martini bar. Lots of personality, more so than any other cruise bartender I can remember. FYI: She is moving to the Magic in December. The wife and I spent many ours watching her mix drinks.

Dinner menu on the last night: Best of all nights IMHO, made up for some other nights that were lacking.

The ports in general were nice (I don't shop though).

Friars Bay beach (site of the Shipwreck Bar) in St. Kitts is the best $4 shore excursion (cab ride) you can find. Get there early if you want some quiet time as it gets busy.

Close up magician who roams the ship; very good show.

I had a good time but the truth is I will be a bit more critical of Carnival when considering my cruise options moving forward. You do give up certain things when choosing them and sometimes those things are worth the extra money, at least to me. I started cruising when I was 21 (38 now) so I'll admit that some of my opinions are a result of me getting a few years older. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>