Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by stroch: Great, for the Spanish...

stroch
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Adventure of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great, for the Spanish...

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

I had a good week on the Adventure of the Seas, and it was my first cruise. It was an enjoyable novelty but lacked a lot of aspects I've been led to expect from friends who went on other cruises.

The staff were all great. Really friendly and - seemingly at least! - happy working there. Vasco in the fitness centre, our waiter Chris, and Harry from Mauritius were all excellent. And even on such a large ship, staff were remembering your name, which I thought was very impressive. The food in the main dining hall was also fantastic, although I would say the room service was below hotel standard.

About 2/3s of the passengers were Spanish and clearly their culture is a little different, lacking what I would consider pretty basic manners, queuing for escalators, chatting with other guests or calming children down when they were getting too carried away. It was a shame you couldn't sit down in a public place and chat easily with fellow cruisers. Whilst relaxing in a More jazz bar on board around midnight, it was surreal that there were still (Spanish) 5-year olds running around, dancing and making noise. I don't mind children, but there's a time and a place; and midnight in a jazz bar is neither. If you like peace away from children, this is not the cruise for you.

I was most disappointed by the constant up-selling and overpricing of RC. Not just the 15% automatic gratuity to all drinks or other extras you pay for, the optional extra tip for drinks etc, then the week-end suggested gratuities; all of which I could stomach. But I felt it crossed a line with the Spa also ripping me for products curiously called "services" which I didn't agree to, and breaking the rapport with the masseur by telling me I really needed a $60 bottle of shower gel, OK? The otherwise excellent gym also spent an hour trying to convince me to spend $300 on detox pills which I couldn't afford. The behind the scenes tour of the boat looked interesting, but for $150 each? And the Malaga airport transfer for $27 each on a bus when we paid a taxi outside the terminal EUR25. How much are RC creaming off for arranging a bus???

There were no enrichment lectures other than odd things like how to remove cellulite, or whiten teeth and I have no doubt they were really sales pitches.

But all in all, it was a good novelty with the massive impressive ship, the excellent food and service, and the chance to visit lots of places around the Western Med. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>