“Pleasantly surprised due to prior reviews”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

jb01876 Westerdam 5 Pleasantly surprised due to prior reviews
jb01876
Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my second cruise in 15 years, my husband was previously a more frequent cruiser, and had been to Alaska before on a different itinerary. We had received an upgrade, possibly as we had booked over 6 months in advance, from a partial sea to a veranda, which made it nice for our day in Glacier Bay, and to judge temperature so we were dressed appropriately for our ventures out into port. We were there to relax, so we did not participate in the formal nights, which seemed to be the case with many other diners in the Lido restaurant. We ate either at the Lido or the Terrace Grill, as we wanted the flexibility with time and portions, as the Lido offerings seemed to be identical to the dining room offerings. We chose all of our shore excursions many months before departure, so we were able to do the Mendenhal Float Boat in Juneau,Lumberjack show and duck boat in Ketchikan, and Pub Tour in Victoria. The Victoria pub tour was expensive, rushed, and not really enjoyable, as the quantities of beer presented in the amount of time allowed to consume was reminiscent of a frat kegger! Especially where I do not drink beer, but went to accompany my husband, it was very expensive Ice Tea and soda for me. My biggest issue was with the soda and beverage cards. When the card says soda, they mean soda only, and not bottled water. Also, with the soda card, you only get fountain drinks, and not sealed cans. I have an issue with the sweeteners in diet soda, thus cannot drink, After the 5th diet coke I received, which the did correct it when I said something, but it never should have happened in the first place, we went down to the front office and complained.They would not allow the canned so I could confirm what I was receiving, unless we wanted to use the other beverage card. Some people would not see a big issue with this, but since I am somewhat sensitive to the motion, and need to be medicated for it, a mouthful of Diet Coke makes me feel even worse than I already felt. The cruise lines compensation for this was 2 complementary bottles of water the last night of the cruise. The shows were entertaining. We went to bingo, chocolate trivia (which we won). We did use the luggage direct service, as we had an evening flight, and it was well worth it. Other than the soda issue it was an uneventful week.
Westerdam Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Kayaking
once we got suited up, it was enjoyable. guide, even though a transplant from new england, was informative, and managed boat well.
Duck Tour
Our tour guide, Nicole, was the guide of the year last year, and she well deserves that accolade. she and the captain made it very enjoyable. 5 quacks to them
Lumberjack Show
we did the early lumberjack show and the duck tour, as brochure stated that you would be able to do both Both were fun and entertaining, and suitable for all ages
Port
none of the excursions especially appealed to us, so we walked around town, had hot chocolate, and purchased most of our souvenirs ( one store had really neat socks in the window and we shopped there).
Read 225 Sitka Reviews
Pub tour
expensive and rushed. husband who is the beer drinker , did not enjoy anything at the second stop. Snacks provided at first and third stop were very good, tasty, and very different at third.
Published 08/12/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Westerdam Review
Westerdam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?