Viking Danube Cruise Review by ctsc: Viking Danube-Grand European Cruise
Viking Danube-Grand European Cruise
I have just returned from a 15 day cruise with Viking on their Grand European Tour (Amsterdam to Budapest). July 23rd to August 9th (included extended tour of Prague). The ship was the Viking Danube.
First the good:
1. Food was very good
2. Staff was very helpful with the exception of one unpleasant female wait staff
3. Off shore accommodations for extended trip to Prague quite good
Next the BAD:
Viking has already sold the DANUBE ship which will be retired from their fleet next January, 2013. I know why. Some of the things encountered:
1. No air conditioning on the ship for over 24 hours in 94 degree heat. Had to travel to another port to pick-up an engineer to fix the problem
2. Water went out on the ship on three separate occasions
3. Cabin carpet was dirty
4. Stains on the carpet in main areas of dining room and lounge area
5. Space in public areas so tight you would not walk through (dining room) or there was More not enough room for all of the passengers to sit (lounge)
Overall look of the interior was that of a old Holiday Inn motel. Not at all the standards of the ship I took to China in 2011.
Vikings response was to apologize to the passengers about the air conditioning and give everyone a free glass of sparkling wine-very cheesy and did more to irritate passengers than soothe.
The final result- more likely than not to consider other providers before using Viking again Less
Read more Viking Danube cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Danube Review >>
Cabin review: C313
A Cruise That Was Really A Bus...
Douro river cruise
Wonderful First River Cruise
Danube to the Rhine
Grand European Tour July 2012