“A beautiful new ship!!!”
Cruise review of Oceania Marina

Joyousness Marina 5 A beautiful new ship!!!
Joyousness
Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Oceania's two new ships, Marina and Riviera are supposedly identical. They carry twice as many passengers as the older ones. The public space reflects the increase in passengers, the decks are spacious and well appointed, they have lost nothing in the increased size, the service is just as wonderful and attentive as before. But, that being said, it is a lot more people than the traditional 650 or so on the smaller ships. You feel this only in the fact that you never meet the same people twice...the ship is BIG!!! The embarkation and disembarkation was spotlessly organized with virtually NO waiting, so this was a surprise given the amount of people. As you enter the ship, you will be floored by the amount of Lalique crystal,and incredible Murano glass decorates the ship throughout. The furnishings are stunning, but not flashy...and the main dining room is a wonder to behold. Our stateroom was larger than any of the other ships we have cruised on (Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea and Radisson) and the furnishings were beautiful. Our butler was around ALL the time, but unobtrusively. The room was lovely, spacious and beautifully appointed, a stall shower plus a full size bath, a large walk in closet with every amenity a human being could want. I SHOULD mention though....try NOT to book the 11th floor...take the 9th or lower as the overhang on the 12th is a good ten feet larger on each side and blocks out the possibility of sun on your terrace...this is a big minus for me, so next time PH3 instead of PH1. We booked our dining reservations through the internet the day after we booked, to insure that we got what we wanted when we wanted. The specialty dining was lovely, Jacques (the French) is a wonderful experience and one not to be missed. Red Ginger (the Asian) also, a stunning dining room, with an innovative menu, a real experience!! Toscana was good, but very much like the other ships, an Italian with all the trimmings. The Polo grill on this ship was disappointing, the steak was mediocre at best, and the first course left a lot to be desired. This restaurant needs some serious work (in my opinion) BUT the MAIN dining room was wonderful....there was something interesting every night on the menu, the service was impeccable, the sommeliers VERY well informed and we looked FORWARD to dining in the dining room. I can't really say, as I didn't take an excursion ( we like to do our own thing in each town) but the excursions seemed VERY pricey to me, I would consider carefully each destination and decide whether or not an excursion is really necessary. The destination services provide you with a plethora of info about each town and how to navigate it. We enjoyed the enrichment lectures, and were sorry there weren't more... but there were a lot of ports and very little time. I wasn't crazy about the entertainment to be honest. We tried it once or twice, and apart from a lovely quartet of brass, piano and guitar, we felt that the ship comes up short in this department...especially the pianist who I found particularly irritating (no concept of harmony at all?????) This is not really a problem when you have so many ports in a short period of time, but if I was sailing for an extended period, this would be very very annoying, and I would want to find out about the entertainment before I embark (cruises of 21 days and more) In short, Oceania is one of the better cruise lines out there, price quality, it can't be beat, the food, the destinations, the service....really unparalleled.
Marina Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Penthouse Suite

PH111057
Enormous room...very very large walk in closet...stall shower AND full size bath, everything you could possibly want. I DO NEED TO TELL you Avoid the 11th floor, as the upper deck is a good ten feet larger and the overhang KILLS any possibility of sun on your terrace...be smart, take the NINTH FLOOR or lower!!!!!

Port
AMAZING destination...friendly people interesting city...what a surprise!!! We did it alone.... took a tram from Gdynia to Gdansk and just walked and walked and walked. It is a wonderful city, and the excursions from Oceania (at 250$ a person) were doing the same thing as we were. Don't miss the open market, and next to it, a fabulous meat market, featuring every possible type of sausage known to man. Try the very thin KABANOS...they are amazing!!!
Read 52 Gdansk Reviews
Port
Nice port, lovely strolling through the city, take a coffee, there is an open market on the port square...nothing grandiose but pleasant.
Read 530 Helsinki Reviews
Port
Lovely.... we walked through the city, took a hop on hop off bus, had a coffee, and looked at the shops...what a quaint destination....worth doing alone (no excursion)
Read 36 Riga Reviews
WOW... we arrived to a tall ships race, and a wonderful carnival and festival of music and beer....the city was a veritable happening. Take a 15 minute train ride to Rostock, also a lovely city to roam around in.
Here I would recommend an excursion... it is easy to get lost, the taxis rip you off left and right, and somehow, I felt an impending danger here. I had the feeling the people would do anything, there is a certain uneasiness and desperation in the city....not a city to do alone...( and not a city I am destined to return to)
Port
Second time we were here, also a lovely city....worth doing alone, again, strolled along, took a hop on hop off bus, had a coffee, did some shopping...a perfect day
Read 587 Tallinn Reviews
Published 08/12/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Marina Review
Marina Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?