Azura Cruise Review by Frintonite: Azura A217

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

The Ship
It's been over 2 years since we were last on Azura for her maiden cruise. She seems to have worn well, other than the sink in our cabin which was cracked, so it was not pleasing to the eye, neither very hygienic. The other thing of note was the blue cushions for the sun loungers as they were stained and had seen better days. Time for some new ones P&O.
Even with this, the sun loungers were fully utilised on sea days, with just a hint of the need for sun lounger police, due to the towels and lack of bodies on them.

Ports of call
A couple of new ports for us in La Coruna and Bilbao, where we took a P&O shore ex in the latter, but walked around the marina in the former. In La Rochelle we did the "Green Venice" shore ex, and it comes highly recommended. I have some video which I took, which I plan to put on You Tube, so will post the link at some time.
Our bargain, was in Guernsey, where we took the tender ashore, then went on a tour to Victor Hugo's More house (£4 pp). If you have followed my blogs before you will know that Sue and myself are Les Mis fans so this was of great interest to us both.
The weather for the whole cruise was excellent, with lots of warm sunshine, so this helps a lot.

Food
MDR , was the normal OK standard, but we did eat lunch there a couple of times and I thought the food was very good then.
Sindhu was excellent as we expected it to be, so if you do go on Azura, then even if you think " I don't do Indian food" please try it, you will not be disappointed, and you didn't have to have spicy food.

Headliners were OK, although in their final show "Curtain Up", they did seem to pull out the stops, especially the songs from Les Mis ( sorry, but we are fans ). In other Headliner shows we have seen, it's normally Master of the House and a couple of other songs, but this time totally new songs from the show, and the best I have heard them sung outside of the west end.
Mercury Rising, a Freddie Mercury tribute was excellent. Red Mick a Simply Red tribute was not.

Conclusion
A last minute ( for us) booking as the PCB's were kicking in. Although marketed as a "cruise break" (7 nights) it was good to get away and see some sun. It was also the first week of the school holidays, and as for the last couple of years we had been on "adult only" ships it did seem strange. Although I did not see any problems with the " young people" I do prefer the adult only ships, which is good, as that is what we have booked. Less

Read more Azura cruise reviews >>